Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do Any You Sort Out Your Charcoal By Piece Size?

2»

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I might have to bust a big one in the Mini, but no sorting.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Not me.

I just dump it and light it,and start my first of many beers. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    No sorting here.  

When I use the Egg, it's a relaxing, fun "egg-sperience" (though there have been a few times when cooking for an "event" or holiday where it's become hectic).  But for the most part, it's a time to become one w/ the universe (and drink beer) :>

Because of that, if I had to sort lump sizes, or do a full cleanout of the ash in the Egg each time, or remove the old lump & use new lump each time, or clean my cooking grids each time, or any of a number of other things that I've seen/heard folks doing which I consider over-kill, I don't think I'd really get much enjoyment out of using the Egg & would only use it very minimally.  

Perhaps I'm lazy, but one of the beautiful things I like about the Egg is it's simplicity - it utilizes a concept that man has conquered for quite some time now:  fire & wood  ;)  As far as cooking w/ it, to me it's pretty much "set & forget" - I don't fight & fuss w/ it much at all, which, to me, makes life a WHOLE lot easier >:D<

JMHO,
    HH
    My thoughts exactly.  Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nope. Not that anal about things. Just dump and go. If I'm getting to the bottom of a bag and its all small pieces, I'll open a new bag, dump that and then dump the old bag on top. That's as fancy as i get.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• No
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I used to sort early on...an eggsperienced Egger said it is a waste of time...I agree...now I just dump from the bag...easy peasy...
  • Do whatever works for you.  Nothing wrong with sorting if it enhances your eggsperience.  Personally I do not sort, I find it messy and just a hassle.  
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Note from Italy: It's called OCD, obsessive compulsive disorder. Seek help immediately.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    If you do, please attach mailing address so we know where to send the meds.....
    Roger that.  OCD and BGE have never been a good mix...... 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited September 2012
    I'll smash a whole bag into a fine, dusty powder, using a large brass mallet, then pour it (it's almost like a liquid) into the egg.  I tamp that down with a tamper, kinda like the guy in the picture.  Then I pour in about a pint of 92 octane gasoline.  Don't use anything less than that.  Stand back a few feet and throw in a wax square, lit.  Then fire up a leafblower, needs to be 92 MPH or greater, and poke the end into the bottom damper, which you want full open.

image :-O
    edited September 2012
    Wow! my leaf blower would never go 92mph.

You one lucky sob nola

No sorting for me.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    While I don't separate my lump charcoal, it's your hobby do whatever you like.  Everybody's different and they have different things they enjoy doing.  Enjoy the ride.  Ultimately, it's about the Egg and great food and company.
    Everybody has weird quirks about them when it comes to Egging. Ask a question on the forum and you'll get varying opinions on the best way to do something.  The one thing that everybody on the site does agree on, is that:

WE LIKE BIG BUTTS AND WE CANNOT LIE!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I personally wouldn't discriminate on the size of a butt... That's just me.
  • I used to sort.  I had 3 pails and sorted small, med and large. That wore off very quickly.  Now I  dump in a pail (in the garage) and take to the egg, grab a few larger pieces, sit them on grate then dump the rest in.  Seems to work good for me. 
  • brentsee said:
    I used to sort.  I had 3 pails and sorted small, med and large. That wore off very quickly.  Now I  dump in a pail (in the garage) and take to the egg, grab a few larger pieces, sit them on grate then dump the rest in.  Seems to work good for me.
    Yup.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'll pull out the huge chunks and put them on the bottom to keep the airflow moving.  I'm not OCD on it though.  Not so worried on a low and slow because the DigiQ powers through sloppy lump dust and such.  The 93 octane gas and 92 MPH leaf blower help get it all started. :)
  • Just make sure you have a few large pieces on the bottom, and then you can dump the bag.  It is nice to have a powered draft on the low and slows, you dont have to be as worried about airflow through the lump pile.
  • Sorting lump is way too anal.  It all burns.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • I'll smash a whole bag into a fine, dusty powder, using a large brass mallet, then pour it (it's almost like a liquid) into the egg.  I tamp that down with a tamper, kinda like the guy in the picture.  Then I pour in about a pint of 92 octane gasoline.  Don't use anything less than that.  Stand back a few feet and throw in a wax square, lit.  Then fire up a leafblower, needs to be 92 MPH or greater, and poke the end into the bottom damper, which you want full open.

image :-O

I've heard using a tamper can void the warranty. It may be OK if you don't use a gas powered one though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    After reading all the posts above I'm going to pretty much just dump from now on. I tried to make things 'better' and the consensus seems to be it ain't worth it.
  • Yeah but when I sort I'll have an adult beverage and a cigar which makes it all worth the trouble.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    I would like to try this sometime but I dump and go. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Note from Italy: It's called OCD, obsessive compulsive disorder. Seek help immediately.

Some might consider participating in a bbq forum in the US while on vacation in Italy OCD

• walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Sorting lump is about as useless as tits on a bore-hog!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I just purchased a big of cowboy at Lowes. I promise one of the pieces is the size of a football. Is it ok to use?. Steak or a low and slow?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    henapple said:
    I just purchased a big of cowboy at Lowes. I promise one of the pieces is the size of a football. Is it ok to use?. Steak or a low and slow?
    it'll burn, won't it?  heh

although I've not ran across any pieces *that* big, when I get a piece that I think is too big to deal w/ easily, I just break it up.  I look at lump sizes like the Goldilocks story - some are too small, some are too big, but then some are just right!  :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • henapple said:
    Hit it with a hammer
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Get/build yourself a wiggle stick.  Problem solved.

Dump and go.
  • Not I. I just put 2-3 large pieces, several smaller pieces, and a lot of small pieces in the bottom of my firepot. Then I fill it with stuff left over from the previous fire.

Tim