Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

napkin and oil trick was messy

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,665
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
fixed that, this was too simple and now the oil gets into the napkin and not on your hands

fill a big coffee can with most of a roll of paper towells, dump in a little more than a half cup cooking oil making sure to pour it around the edges. put a rock on it, why, i dont know but its my method. put the cover on it and dry age it one week. napkin looks like a clean napkin, smells like oil, put it in egg and light, wait 5 minutes.....fire

a week later

light it, no oily mess, no looking for oil and napkins, your all set for 50 0r so cooks

5 minutes later

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Nice tip and good pictures.....this is what forum is all about
  • I use the oil and napkin method. I like your idea. Thanks for sharing!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Great idea.  I'm a napkin and oil guy, and will definitely need to try this.  
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Cool
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I'm just asking as I am fairly new to my egg. I use and electric fire starter which gets the coals glowing and a slight flame. I close the lid and let the temp climb to slightly above the desired level before closing down the vents. But I never get a raging fire like your pictures. Even with temps of 600 for pizza my coals are not "on fire." Is your photo just for illustration or does the oiled towel routinely start a big fire?
  • fishlessman

I'm just asking as I am fairly new to my egg. I use and electric fire starter which gets the coals glowing and a slight flame. I close the lid and let the temp climb to slightly above the desired level before closing down the vents. But I never get a raging fire like your pictures. Even with temps of 600 for pizza my coals are not "on fire." Is your photo just for illustration or does the oiled towel routinely start a big fire?
    works for low and slows or hot and fast cooks, i had some old and dirty chicken soot lump in there and wanted to burn it off before putting a pork loin in there. i dont pay much attention to catching the fire on the way up if its not a low and slow, with a low and slow you need to catch the temp on the way up.
    fukahwee maine

• I'm just asking as I am fairly new to my egg. I use and electric fire starter which gets the coals glowing and a slight flame. I close the lid and let the temp climb to slightly above the desired level before closing down the vents. But I never get a raging fire like your pictures. Even with temps of 600 for pizza my coals are not "on fire." Is your photo just for illustration or does the oiled towel routinely start a big fire?
    Electric is easy and clean, if you have access to an outlet and a safe place to but the "branding iron" while it cools. Electric starters can a do last for years if you don't forget them and leave them in the fire for more than 10 minutes. I have an OMC that is 10 years old and still doing its thing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I love seeing things like this on the forums. This is what im cooking up next!

how do you keep tobacco chewers away from it?

:))
    Conway, S.C.
  • Thanks for the tip. I always just do a single sheet of paper towel and then drizzle the oil on. I like the idea of stocking up. Smart idea. =D>
    Large, small, and a mini
  • This is a great idea, thanks for sharing. 

• I have my wife save paper towels that she has used for soaking up bacon grease. She puts them in a ziplock in the fridge so they won't get rancid. Works great as fire starters and I'm repurposing paper towels that would have been thrown away.
  • I have had my Egg for about 8 years, I reckon.  Only recently did I try the oil on paper towel method of firing it up.  I am now a convert.  Much less hassle (and sparks) than my old MAPP torch method.
  • I like it. Thanks for the tip.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Great Tip - Thanks
    Roy from Edmonton Alberta
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    What a great tip. As others have said, its tips like this that makes this place so great. Thanks for sharing.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    @fishlessman - wanted to thank you again for this tip.  Started doing this a couple weeks ago (I didn't use the rock) and it is great.  A lot less mess, and the paper towels seem to burn longer and hotter than the freshly oiled ones.  Get the lump started even quicker.  Great idea.
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Nice, Fishless. A great tip for sure!  Also, that is marketable and sellable stuff right there! Put it in a container like the sanitizing wipes. Sell a million.
    Cheers. Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nice, Fishless. A great tip for sure!  Also, that is marketable and sellable stuff right there! Put it in a container like the sanitizing wipes. Sell a million.
    Cheers. Chris
    I thought that is marketed already: pre-moistened Puffs tissue!  Light your Egg with a clean one as boogers make sparks.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I need to start drinking coffee for this very reason
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    @charliebatutis, I just used a ziplock bag and thick square napkins. Worked like a charm. I have the bag open so they will dry a little more, although after one day they didn't feel greasy at all. I just pulled one out like a wet wipe, twisted it, tucked it under a couple of coals and lit it up. Stayed lit for several minutes.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    funny... just got home to fire the egg up and no electricity. no heat gun, torch, cubes. trying the paper towel trick. daddy got to have some wings.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Just did this. I used about 25 thick paper towels with about 1/2 cup of oil. Covered it up, going to open next week. Should be much easier. 
  • This is awesome! Thanks for the tip!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Fantastic tip....  This group is something!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    Rutland safe lite. Clean, easy, cheap.
  • fishlessman
    the paper towel is alot quicker to light and costs about 2 pennies per startup, add to that and most have the ingrediants on hand. the only start up method thats even close to this for quickness is a 500,000btu weedburner ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    What kind of rock?
  • fishlessman
    obviously its a new england rock B) the overinflated ones skip better
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    the paper towel is alot quicker to light and costs about 2 pennies per startup, add to that and most have the ingrediants on hand. the only start up method thats even close to this for quickness is a 500,000btu weedburner ;)
    Call me cheap, but every time I grab a sandwich I also grab 4 or 5 extra napkins. At home I fold, twist and place them in an oil rich baggie.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    edited July 2015
    nothing wrong with that =) most of the soy sauce i have at home is from chinese resteraunt packets, even collect mcdonalds ketchup packets to clean my copper fishing lures on the boat, put some on an old penny someday and see what happens
    fukahwee maine