Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Victory Pig Pizza - first attempt on the Egg

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Lunch today was my first attempt at recreating Victory Pig pizza, a landmark in North East Pennsylvania (NEPA). Back in the late 60's and early 70's, this was our go place following high school football.  Still open today.  The style of pizza is close to what is referred to as "Old Forge Style Pizza", but with more of a fried, crispy crust.

Located in Wyoming, PA, and only open Wed, Fri and Sat.  They also serve burgers, dogs, pork BBQ, and other basic foods (including Wimpies, the NEPA version of a sloppy Joe.  However, this place is all about the pizza.  This is unlike any other pizza.  It is baked in rectangular blue steel pans, with a lot of oil (probably peanut) in the bottom, so the light and airy dough ends up fried and crispy on the bottom.  The sauce is plain crushed tomatoes uncooked with no seasoning.  You order by the 'cut' and not the slice, and the option is 'Wit" or 'Wit-out' onions, which are very finely chopped. The cheese is rumored to be either Muenster or Cheddar.  The recipe is a very closely family kept secret, however some family members have branched out with other pizza places serving the same type of pizza (Pizza L'ovin, Ceccoli's)  

My pizza turned out ok, but nowhere near the same
.imageimageimage

Cheese browned before the crust did.  The only brown cheese should be along the edges and corners.  There is no typical ring of 'crust' on this pizza, the cheese goes all the way to the edge and burns slightly and gets really crispy along the edges.  Our family fights for the corners.  At least I got that part right today. Crust was crispy, but not really fried.  I did it indirect, platesetter legs up with stone on the grate.  Next time I may try directly on the platesetter to get the oil in the pan hotter to try and fry the crust more.  Used canned crushed tomatoes, which was spot on for taste.  I tried the Muenster, and that wasn't right either,  Next time will be cheddar.   

If I'm ever successful in this quest, I'll post the recipe I come up with.  Anyone who hasn't ever had this type of pizza will be in for a treat.  

Comments