Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Highest Temperature on Egg?

Options
rchawkeye
rchawkeye Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever "buried the needle" on their egg?  I did pizza for the first time about a week ago and got the temperature to 800 degrees plus.  The needle had gone all the way around the dial and was over 150 degrees on the other side.  A fellow egg owner was with me to witness it and thought the temperature was impressive.

Is there anything I need to worry about when the temp gets this high, other than getting burned?  Is this unusual to be able to get a temperature that high?

BTW, the pizza was exceptional!

Comments

• Hashmaker
    Options
    I've gotten the temp that high as well. The only drawback I see is frying the factory gasket.
  • guyupnorth
    Options
    Be careful when working at temps that high, the bands expand and will allow the dome to shift itself loose.  Had a close call myself...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    you can hit 1200 plus/minus and yess the bands expand and the dome can fall out. ive done alot of pizza between 900 and 1200. hotter than 12oo you need a fan on the lower vent
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    After taking the temp all the way around, you probably will need to recalibrate the probe.  It will more than likely be off next time you use it.  
    Options
    Be careful when working at temps that high, the bands expand and will allow the dome to shift itself loose.  Had a close call myself...
    Good advice here - check your bands, re-torque them. And yes, it is easy to get that hot, now you know how to do a clean burn.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Burp your egg, just crack it open just a tiny bit first, and then open it after some air has gotten it otherwise you might get a flashback and lose the hair on your arm and hand. Not fun, tends to smell funny. You might want to use a heavy set of welders glove or the like.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • rchawkeye
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.  I did notice a shift in the lid and the upper band being a little loose.  Need to retork the bands.