Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I love Kansas City - anyone been here?

Comments

• Yep. I lived there for a few years. The allure of KC BBQ totally escapes me. i ate at all the hot spots several times. Just never got it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Northeast dweller loves that video here.  I just can't get that anywhere here.  Been a few that have opened in NYC, but they just can't compare. 
  • yeah, i live in austin tx. we are covered up with good bbq. I don't want to say it's not good stuff up there in KC- I mean it's widely accepted as awesome. It just wasn't for me. We are so beef-centric down here that it's just not the same. The burnt end phenomenon is just weird to me. You can't get that in one restaurant down here....because the brisket point is the best part and you just don't need to fancy it up like that. we eat the point right off the egg and give the flat to the uneducated, the kids, or the dogs :). KC is also pretty sweet bbq. We are much more savory/spicy for the most part
  • I personally think that KC Barbeque is the best in the country. But, while burnt ends are important, real Kansas City barbecue is all about pork, especially ribs.
  • I personally think that KC Barbeque is the best in the country. But, while burnt ends are important, real Kansas City barbecue is all about pork, especially ribs.

Let me guess.........you live in the area? We all love our own brand (guilty as charged)
  • Let me guess.........you live in the area? We all love our own brand (guilty as charged)
    Yes, you are correct. However, I lived in Texas many years ago and I always was mystified by the emphasis on beef ribs, the Brisket is good. The place in the video is kind of the dress-up barbecue place.
  • Let me guess.........you live in the area? We all love our own brand (guilty as charged)
    Yes, you are correct. However, I lived in Texas many years ago and I always was mystified by the emphasis on beef ribs, the Brisket is good. The place in the video is kind of the dress-up barbecue place.

I hear you. There are only 2 places that I know of here that are known for beef ribs and one is the biggest tourist BBQ restaurant in Austin (County Line) and the other is not even on the local radar as good bbq. i haven't had beef ribs at a restaurant (or even been to a restaurant that served them) in 15 years. It's all about brisket down here at the places that matter and i guess that's where I had the disconnect with KC. Their idea of brisket (and everyone else's ive had outside of TX) is not my idea of good bbq. Again, not saying it ain't so, just saying it wasnt' for me. I really wanted it to be too, but just could never find a spot that I just loved. I bet there are 100 people on here that can do the best ribs you've ever had. I bet there are 5 that can do brisket (and I'm not one of them). It's just so hard to do that I put a lot of weight on people who can do it right every time. I also get that most people prefer other bbq than brisket so I understand I'm in the minority here.
  • Beef ribs blow my skirt so high up in the air I cant even talk about it without blushing.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • These people make the best I've had.   Link below.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • These people make the best I've had.   Link below.

Dude- I've eaten there 20 times............meh. The Hawaiian place is way better
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    mreow pPffssssttttt!  BBQ is personal.  Food is good.  Caveman say food critic fight fun to watch!

Well, considering the Hawaiian place I am talking about, Travis, Mickey, TFJ (my wife), and I were all there, hardly a cat fight :).
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    So Travs spot is less than half the price of this one right next to my office and 10X as good. http://www.bluesmoke.com/blue/PDF/dinnerMenu.pdf

Northeast and good cheap BBQ just doesn't exist.