Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6 slabs of baby backs / 1 large BGE. - cooking tips and thoughts?

CheeseheadIllinois
CheeseheadIllinois Posts: 66
edited September 2012 in Pork
I bought two packs of pork ribs from Costco which is 6 slabs. I've got. A large BGE, 1 V shaped rack (which will accommodate 3 of the slabs - each sliced in 2) and I have a 2nd grate which I could put on the first but not sure if there will be enough clearance over the V rack with ribs. Any thoughts on cooking the 6 slabs at one setting? Indirect heat. Because I have six slabs, do I allow more time?

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited September 2012
    I did 6 racks of baby backs using the v-rack. Check this thread:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1229199/#Comment_1229199

For the most part it was an average rib cook, time wise. I think I could fit 2 or three more on there if I had to.
  • use fire brick to raise a second grate and slap on all the ribs. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited September 2012
    I've done two Costco packs, six slabs, of baby backs on my LBGE using a bottom rib rack with 4 slabs and a top grate with 2 slabs laying flat using CGS hardware. The slabs were each a little too long and a rib or two needed to be trimmed from each slab. But I got them all in there where they cooked a little unevenly. The outer slabs on the bottom were more done than the inner slabs and the top slabs as were generally the end rib or two on each. So the next time I do this I will rotate them at least once and probably twice during a 5-6 hour cook. 
  • SteveWPBFL - I'm a new BGE owner. Ribs were one of the first things we tried (very successfully I might add) We only cooked 3 slabs (from Costco). When we did them, we sprayed periodically with Apple Juice/Cider.  If we did 6 ribs, once you put the second grate on, how do you get to the ribs in the rack that are underneath the 2nd Grate?
  • I just tested the "ergonomics" of a 2nd rack.  I but 2 brick pavement blocks on the grill, and put the extender on the pavement blocks.  While that will allow room for the V rack holding 3 slabs, the slid won't close with the 2nd rack.  Not sure what I'm going to do.  Thinking of placing some slabs on top of the ribs on the Vrack and , well, we'll see soon ...