Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt -- Lesson learned

Options
miscjames
miscjames Posts: 78
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Was LAS a butt felt comfortable with the stability of the egg so I went to bed. When I woke up the egg was at zero and internal of the butt was 92. I used the last of the bag but I would have had enough to finish the butt If the fire didn't go out. What had happened was the lump burned up through the middle. Well i stirred the lump and got my fire going again. Got the butt up to 182 and the fire was gone no more lump. I said no problem I will just finish it in the oven. So I foiled it and stuck in the oven at 210. Well it pulled good but it was super dry. 

So lessons learned. don't use the last of the bag to do a low and slow. 

Set an alarm clock (since i don't have money to buy a guru yet) to wake up and check on it. 

Don't put it in the oven if you already have reached a safe temp. I should have sliced it at 182 and moved on. 

Comments

• tactical_66
    Options
    Wow that stinks. I always use good lump for the long cooks. Lesson learned. I do not have a Guru and for me I do not see the need. My buddy has a LBGE as well and he does not used e either. We have done cooks up to 22 hrs with no temp problems. It would be nice to have but I would rather buy gun stuff.
  • Mayberry
    Options
    I've been using Wicked Good Weekend Warrior, did a 15.5 hr cook he might before last and have enough left for 1-2 short cooks, easy. Give some good lump a try. I never clean out my firebox to just put n new lump Unless I'm doing a low and slow. Then, it's all new lump for that cook to prolong the lump life and not have to refill. Also, check to the Maverick ET-732. Just did mt first cook with mine this weekend and it works perfectly. For $60, you can remotely monitor grate temp and internal meat temp at the same time. You can also set alarms if the grate temp drops too low, rises. Too high or for when the meat reaches a certain temperature. Give it a shot....it's much cheaper than a Guru, and the only real difference I see is it doesn't adjust the temp for you...it just alerts you, and you have to go outside and adjust it yourself. But, no need to worry about fires going out. Good luck....hope this helps.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • miscjames
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advise. I may have to look into that Maverick. Like everyone says its a journey. 
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    I will reiterate that my low n slows have been more successful when I start with fresh lump (typically means larger pieces) and a cleaned firebox.  And, absolutely, a Maverick 732 helps.

And allow me to pass along the wisdom from one of my mistakes - don't forget to turn on the audible alarm when you turn in for the night.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • xraypat23
    Options
    this is why I have a temp controller(ique-110) as much as some people boo-hoo them. They have a purpose. I've never had a middle only burn using the controller. Set it, and if the fire starts getting low, the air stokes the coals without you having to be out there.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your cook.  Exact reason I have a Stoker.  Set it, forget it, get a good night sleep, wake up to everything is under control.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have an auber and it holds the temp perfectly every time!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario