Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Chicken wing help...

Big Green GatorBig Green Gator Posts: 6
edited September 2012 in Poultry
I've tried chicken wings a couple times couple different ways. They always come out "slimy", as the head boss lady in charge describes them. I have the green light to try wings one last time. Any tips on getting crispy wings? Indirect vs direct? Wet sauce while grilling or only dry rub? Or, should I just pull the old fryer back out ?

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 5,684

Take them out of the package and let them air dry in the refigerator as long as possible. I like to cook mine direct with a raised grate at 400-450 with just a dry rub. Pull when done and toss with sauce if desired. Should get you a crispy skin.

I've heard of some people applying something, I think cornstarch, before cooking to get a crispy skin, but have never tried that method myself.

Good luck.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

• I do them direct too, but not raised, just a dry rub on them, once they are nice and crispy, I baste with whatever sauce I've concocted.  

_________________________________________________________________________________________

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?

Belmont, NC

• I've done these a few times.....not slimy at all. In fact, they taste darn near deep fried.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html
  • I've done them a couple times now, indirect with a dp rub and a drip pan. 375 for 45 min..turning every 15 min. I sauced them the last 15 and let the sauce set up before I pulled them off. They have been a hit at a couple tail gates now.
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,356
    i do mine raised direct 400 dome, sauce is a 50/50 mix of famous daves devil spit and franks extra hot wing sauce and butter . when almost done take them off dip in the sauce and back on to caramelize the sauce . always a big hit for whoever i make them for 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Griffin said:

Take them out of the package and let them air dry in the refigerator as long as possible. I like to cook mine direct with a raised grate at 400-450 with just a dry rub. Pull when done and toss with sauce if desired. Should get you a crispy skin.

I've heard of some people applying something, I think cornstarch, before cooking to get a crispy skin, but have never tried that method myself.

Good luck.

+1 listen to Grif. Wings are often marinated and they cook quickly, they are done before the skin has dried and crisped. I have had success with a hotter indirect, 425-450, rub only. less chance of charring, unless you like that kind of thing. Direct as noted by Grif above is sure fire. 
    Delta B.C., Canuckistan - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,011
    edited September 2012
    I'm with your wife... slimy wings are nasty! 

Like others, I let them air dry in the refrigerator while I get the cooker setup. Then I apply my dry rub and a light dusting of cornstarch. Cook direct on a raised grid. The skin gets nice and crispy!

Chicken WingsChicken Wings
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too!