Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken wing help...

Big Green Gator
Big Green Gator Posts: 6
edited September 2012 in Poultry
I've tried chicken wings a couple times couple different ways. They always come out "slimy", as the head boss lady in charge describes them. I have the green light to try wings one last time. Any tips on getting crispy wings? Indirect vs direct? Wet sauce while grilling or only dry rub? Or, should I just pull the old fryer back out ?

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Take them out of the package and let them air dry in the refigerator as long as possible. I like to cook mine direct with a raised grate at 400-450 with just a dry rub. Pull when done and toss with sauce if desired. Should get you a crispy skin.

I've heard of some people applying something, I think cornstarch, before cooking to get a crispy skin, but have never tried that method myself.

Good luck.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I do them direct too, but not raised, just a dry rub on them, once they are nice and crispy, I baste with whatever sauce I've concocted.  

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• I've done these a few times.....not slimy at all. In fact, they taste darn near deep fried.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html
  • I've done them a couple times now, indirect with a dp rub and a drip pan. 375 for 45 min..turning every 15 min. I sauced them the last 15 and let the sauce set up before I pulled them off. They have been a hit at a couple tail gates now.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i do mine raised direct 400 dome, sauce is a 50/50 mix of famous daves devil spit and franks extra hot wing sauce and butter . when almost done take them off dip in the sauce and back on to caramelize the sauce . always a big hit for whoever i make them for 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Griffin said:

Take them out of the package and let them air dry in the refigerator as long as possible. I like to cook mine direct with a raised grate at 400-450 with just a dry rub. Pull when done and toss with sauce if desired. Should get you a crispy skin.

I've heard of some people applying something, I think cornstarch, before cooking to get a crispy skin, but have never tried that method myself.

Good luck.

+1 listen to Grif. Wings are often marinated and they cook quickly, they are done before the skin has dried and crisped. I have had success with a hotter indirect, 425-450, rub only. less chance of charring, unless you like that kind of thing. Direct as noted by Grif above is sure fire. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited September 2012
    I'm with your wife... slimy wings are nasty! 

Like others, I let them air dry in the refrigerator while I get the cooker setup. Then I apply my dry rub and a light dusting of cornstarch. Cook direct on a raised grid. The skin gets nice and crispy!

Chicken WingsChicken Wings
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.