Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Look at my butt!

Options
Hashmaker
Hashmaker Posts: 149
edited September 2012 in Pork
Thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge on this forum. Notice the balls of foil under the drip pan. I was having issues with the juice burning in the drip pan but not anymore! Overnight cook on a 9.5lb butt.

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    =P~  That looks tasty!
  • Docmcgil
    Options

Hashmaker...I just bought my egg and I want to smoke a butt about that size later on in the week, but I can't get my large egg to hold 225 degrees overnight.  Any tips?  I have the plate setter...I need to invest in a drip plan.  I also plan on soaking some cherry chunks and apply chips for a little additional flavor.  Thanks!

P.S:   Yours looks great...how was the final product?

• bertscampers
    Options
    Docmcgil said:

Hashmaker...I just bought my egg and I want to smoke a butt about that size later on in the week, but I can't get my large egg to hold 225 degrees overnight.  Any tips?  I have the plate setter...I need to invest in a drip plan.  I also plan on soaking some cherry chunks and apply chips for a little additional flavor.  Thanks!

P.S:   Yours looks great...how was the final product?

Remember that 225 grill does not mean 225 dome.   225 dome would mean that grate temp was lower.  I hold at 250-260 dome and it works out perfect.  I stressed on temps in the beginning now as long as I am close its good for me.

Cheers
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    looks really great 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • hartofatiger
    Options
    Beauty!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    hapster said:
    You do indeed have a nice butt there :))

=)) =))
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Doc, if I may, you need to set up your egg properly. In short, clean it out completely and sort the lump in 3 sizes then start adding lump (by hand) with the largest pieces first. Place them like a jig saw puzzle. Once it's stable I never have to adjust the vents, it will stay all night long.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Hashmaker, Nice butt.
  • Docmcgil
    Options
    Bert/Midwest -- thank you.  I'm use to smoking with an offset and keeping the internal temp around 225, but wasn't thinking of dome temp vs grate.  I'll be sure to clean it out as well and get a good mix of chips, blocks of cherry, and lump in there.
  • Hashmaker
    Options
    Doc... My best advice for you is to follow the advice of the eggsperts here. What I've learned here about overnight cooks...start with a clean egg, build a good fire as mentioned above, put your drip pan on something(balls of foil) so your drippings don't burn and set your dome temp around 250-275. I don't have all the fancy accessories some have to keep the fire going or to monitor temp but I don't think I need them. I usually put a butt in about 9 or 10 pm and check the temp every 2-3 hours. I do have a good meat thermometer though and pull the meat at 190 and wrap in foil, then a towel and then let it rest in a cooler for an hour or two. That butt was 9 lbs and went on at 9pm and I took it off at noon the next day. I unwrapped it about 2 pm, pulled it apart and everyone loved it. There was hardly any left.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Notice the balls of foil under the drip pan. I was having issues with the juice burning in the drip pan but not anymore!

@hashmaker You have learned will grasshopper......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • evan8818
    Options
    So I have my 10 pounders going... I put them on around 12:30 -1P it is currently 6p and my meat temp reads 166 but has jumped one degree since writing this post. When should I expect the stall? And my BGE reads 250 but my ET732 is reading 310. I use this thermometer all the time for food and it seem to be on... Should I trust the digital or BGE? And can I turn the temp down so that its not ready at 2-3AM or is it a case of; once it passes the stall it's moving and no stoping?

- GO FROGS - 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    evan8818 said:
    So I have my 10 pounders going... I put them on around 12:30 -1P it is currently 6p and my meat temp reads 166 but has jumped one degree since writing this post. When should I expect the stall? And my BGE reads 250 but my ET732 is reading 310. I use this thermometer all the time for food and it seem to be on... Should I trust the digital or BGE? And can I turn the temp down so that its not ready at 2-3AM or is it a case of; once it passes the stall it's moving and no stoping?

I answered you on your other thread

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX