Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ WiFi - WTF

JWBurns
JWBurns Posts: 344
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

I'm at a loss on getting this thing to work correctly when outside of my home network. This was the biggest selling point, and so far all I've experienced is hours of frustration in trying to set this thing up.

Has anyone with a Mac, been able to get this unit to work outside your network?

I saw a topic on the other BBQ forum regarding Mac setup, but i do not have Airport Express. I've followed Naked Whiz setup to the tee, and again - no luck.

Comments

• Rigging65
    Rigging65 Posts: 4
    edited September 2012
    Mine works just fine. All Mac. There was a great thread explaining how specifically to get it running. I'm not sure, but I think it was on BBQ Brethren. I'll try to find it. The basics of it was: you need to be using the correct WPA type on your router (I think it was WPA Passphrase), and then you needed to set up port forwarding. Following the instructions, it took about 10 min to set up and have it rolling. Keep in mind that it may take a few minutes for the DigiQ to tie into your router. Since I didn't set up a static IP for the DigiQ, each time I use it, I check the DigiQ screen for the IP address it's using and just refresh my port forwarding to match it. I've been too lazy to set up the static IP for it, but I'm sure I will at some point. Lemme see if I can find the thread...
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344

I think my biggest issue (and forgive me because I am not computer savy) is that in the instructions, I'm told to change my encryption on the controller to match the encryption on my router.

BUT.. There are no two matching encryption names on the router and controller.

When I get home, I can type all of the encryption options I have available to me, along with the ones available on the DigiQ.

• Sometimes you have to dig deeper into the router...most people don't really know how to use the options in their router. I'm a pretty tech savy guy and it was a real eye opener to spend time digging through the router to get the DigiQ set up. I guess you learn stuff every time you try something new!
  • When you say it may take a while for the DigiQ to handshake with the router, what actually happens when it does?  I've tried this a number of times, and each time, after about a minute or so, the DigiQ just says "No Connection".  It never changes from that, no matter how long I leave it.  It's really frustrating, because I have exactly the same Verizon Fios router that the unit's manual uses as an example in the "setting up infrastructure mode" section.
  • Mevanisko: when I first turn on my digiq, the blue lights on the arrow pad are dark. After a minute or so, they begin blinking, then go solid. Once this is complete, the unit is connected with my router. This can actually be hard to see in the sunlight but, for me, I've found this is the definitive "I've connected" moment. At that point, if I check the DNS settings on the DigiQ, I see my network info. From there, it's just xxx.xxx.xxx:8080 to get into the DigiQ. Hope this helps!