Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Experts! - What Cut Do I Have?

cblii
cblii Posts: 13
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I picked this Brisket up from one of the local cattle farms at our farmer's market.  Thing is, I'm not sure which section this piece is from so here're some pics (got a 12oz Virgil's in there for scale)...

Bottom/Side

Anyone out there know what section this is from?  I'm thinking I'll pull it out of the package, rub it w/ some DP Raisin' the Steaks and Sugar, and use some Whiskey Barrel Wood for smoke at about 250 +/- 25...  Sound about right?

Thanks!

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    my guess is choice but some that knows way more then me will correct am sure 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • cblii
    Oh, sorry... I meant which part of the brisket is it from.  Flat or point or whatever... I am a total rookie at brisket.  First attempt was pretty abysmal, but figured I'd go ahead and try again (though with a smaller cut so I don't waste as much dough).

Their stuff is graded out at High Choice to Prime.  It's really good stuff if you're in the DC area...
  • Whole brisket.  the line of fat in the middle separates the point from the flat.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• looks like a flat to me but I cant tell in the 1st pic. Looks like the separated it and left the fat that would have been between the flat and point. Take it out of the plastic and take another pic if you really want to know
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cblii
    looks like a flat to me but I cant tell in the 1st pic. Looks like the separated it and left the fat that would have been between the flat and point. Take it out of the plastic and take another pic if you really want to know
    Here are some more:

Fat cap up, front.

Fat cap up, back
    Fat cap down, front
    Fat cap down, back
  • Lot of fat surrounding a little meat would be my call.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2012
    That's a whole brisky but they kind of butchered the fat cap. No worries though. Trim that fat as uniformly as possible to about 1/4-1/2 inch. Put a good rub on it and do it at 275-300 dome temp for 1-1.25 hrs per lb until 195-ish in the thick part of the flat. Looks really good.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    if it really is a brisket, it looks like a point with most but not all of the flat cut off, im thinking cook as a brisket with the idea of burnt ends which are still great
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cblii
    That's a whole brisky but they kind of butcher the fat cap. No worries though. Trim that fat as uniformly as possible to about 1/4-1/2 inch. Pit a good rub on it and do it at 275-300 dome temp for 1-1.25 hrs per lb until 195-ish in the thick part of the flat. Looks really good.
    Ok, will do.  Thanks!
  • if it really is a brisket, it looks like a point with most but not all of the flat cut off, im thinking cook as a brisket with the idea of burnt ends which are still great

Those weird layers of fat have me wondering but I think it's a brisket.
  • I'm at a loss. If it was a normal brisket, i could identify it in my sleep. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Don't know squat about brisket, but where's the meat?
    George
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    if it really is a brisket, it looks like a point with most but not all of the flat cut off, im thinking cook as a brisket with the idea of burnt ends which are still great

what it looks liketo me is the whole point with the skinny part of the flat still attached and the rest of the flat cut off'

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cblii
    Heh, my suspicion is that they take whole briskets and cut them into portions, vacuum seal the portions and sell them at the farmer's markets.
  • cblii
    I guess we shall see tomorrow when I smoke this bad boy.  The only thing that really matters is the deliciousness, after all! 
  • I would not waste the charcoal to cook that
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    edited September 2012
    cblii said:
    Heh, my suspicion is that they take whole briskets and cut them into portions, vacuum seal the portions and sell them at the farmer's markets.

I would not waste the charcoal to cook that
    Kinda have to agree with both of these calls...

I'd return that and ask for a true packer trimmed brisket,  Looks like they just sheared off some semi-useable meat and sold it.

Most packer trimmed briskets will have a very discernible fat cap of about 1/2-3/4 inch pre-trimmed fat on one whole side, and have a hard and thick section of fat dissecting the point 
    (small meat, grain going one way) and the point (big meat, grain going the other way).  Your cut can't really be identified...

Also want to mention that 5.4 lbs is really way too small to get good results...  Go for over 10 pounds and be glad you did...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Being a brisket noob myself does somebody can somebody post a picture of what a brisket should look like, with the point, fat cap, flat, etc.? Thanks!
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    I would not waste the charcoal to cook that

I disagree. Trim all but 1/4" of that fat off. There may not be much meat but what's there looks good.
  • The exposed packet trimmed brisket: note the fat running through the middle from the right side of the brisket - there is where the point and the flat are separated...

This is what they look like in the cryo (and the box from the distributor)...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• That chunk of fat is not a brisket by any stretch.  That is some kind of Fred Flintstone cut of beef.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    To me it looks like the thin strip of meat is the end of the flat and the thicker part is the point. I would not go back and get any more meat from them because you got stuck with 50% fat but as stated above trim the fat down on the outsides to about a 1/4" cap and cook just like a brisket. I'm sure it will be good.
  • cblii
    Yup.  It turned out great; actually much better than the full one I did my first time.

Trimmed it down as suggested and there was actually more meat than those pictures make it seem.

And despite their failings as a butcher, I'll definitely be going back (perhaps not for a brisket) as theirs is always the best tasting beef I've been able to find in the DC area.  Especially given the extreme lack of decent butcher shops around here.
  • I think the fellas had it right. It was a point with a little flat. The point is the best part anyway but those layers of fat were strange to me. Maybe just the pics looked weird? Glad it was good
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    The meat I have purchased from Pa. farmers is far, far fattier than anything I get from my butcher. I've just about given up on the farm purchases. I got a pork belly to turn into bacon and it had so little meat that I just tossed it (had no need for that much rendered fat). A small pork loin had a fat cap of 1.5 inches and about 1.5 inches of meat (the meat was good, but still). 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    You might send the pic to Rumrunner at ask the butcher.  Long ago, he participated here.  He is a ceramic griller.   Smartest guy I know on meat.....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    cblii said:
    Yup.  It turned out great; actually much better than the full one I did my first time.

Trimmed it down as suggested and there was actually more meat than those pictures make it seem.

And despite their failings as a butcher, I'll definitely be going back (perhaps not for a brisket) as theirs is always the best tasting beef I've been able to find in the DC area.  Especially given the extreme lack of decent butcher shops around here.
    Who is the butcher? My wife works downtown and I can probably con her into stopping by, considering the dearth of butcher's in Frederick. I only have access to local farms but for "just stopping by" to grab some steaks or a roast they are not the best option, considering you have to buy in bulk to make it economical.I have yet to convince her to let me by a deep freezer so a 1/4 cow is out of the question.

• cblii
    cblii said:

Who is the butcher? My wife works downtown and I can probably con her into stopping by, considering the dearth of butcher's in Frederick. I only have access to local farms but for "just stopping by" to grab some steaks or a roast they are not the best option, considering you have to buy in bulk to make it economical.I have yet to convince her to let me by a deep freezer so a 1/4 cow is out of the question.

They're not really a butcher.  They're called Martin's Angus Beef.  They sell at a number of the local farmers markets.

Here's their website:

Really good beef (flavor-wise, if nothing else!)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    cblii said:
    cblii said:

They're not really a butcher.  They're called Martin's Angus Beef.  They sell at a number of the local farmers markets.

Here's their website:

Really good beef (flavor-wise, if nothing else!)
    Thanks
  • cblii, I have an article on the brisket on my website www.meatshop101.com.  I go into some detail about eyeballing the difference between the flat and point cut brisket.  Hope that might help!

Eric Turner