Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beans!

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We did a tri-tip for dinner tonight, and wanting the whole California experience, made pinquito beans. (Thanks to Sespe Pete, for the beans.) Pete also sent a link to the recipe, which (risk-taker that I am) I modified by adding green chile. Here's the recipe: I believe it would be almost as good with pintos if you can't get pinquitos.[p]Ken[p]San Fernando Valley Pinquitos
From recipesource.com[p]1 pound pinquito beans (or pinto beans) -- soaked overnight
fresh water or broth -- to cover
2 cups sliced apples
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cloves garlic – minced
4 small onions – sliced
1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
1 teaspoon chili powder -- or more
1 teaspoon salt -- or to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper -- or to taste
1 small can chopped green chile[p]Rinse the beans and cover well with fresh water. Let the beans soak overnight. After the beans have soaked, drain and cover well with more fresh water. Bring the beans to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1 to 2 hours, or until tender. Drain the beans.[p]Prepare a combination of all remaining ingredients, being sure to mix sausage well with the apples, etc. (Do not cook sausage first.) Bring to a boil and mix with the drained beans. Allow to simmer for at least 2 hours.[p]

Comments

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Options
    BlueSmoke, thank you for sharing.[p]I love beans![p]The rest of the family does not love me eating beans but, oh well.[p]LVM

• Unknown
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I am glad you enjoyed them. Beans are one of my favorite side dishes. And, they sure go well with Tri-Tip, eh?[p]Yes, for a slightly different taste, the pintos will go well, as well. Is that a double infernestlinger, or what?[p]And, as always, the canned Ranch Style beans with the diced chilies, poured over the sliced Tri-Tip makes one's mouth water! Do mine![p]Pete

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]These sound wonderful. I'll have to look around and see if I can find the beans around here. We have a couple of latin markets, so maybe they will have them. If not, pink beans it is![p]Tonia
    :~)