Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Charcoal Basket for the Small?

Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,645
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone written about buying or making a charcoal basket for the small?  My search turned up zip.  Something like that would really help cut down on cooling time when "on the road" at tailgates or picnics.  The idea being it gets the hot coals out quickly and easily.  I figure it would have to be made of expanded metal with a frame and handle that resemble a bucket.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

Comments

• Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,360
    Sorta like this?  http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/545812909/stainless_steel_fire_baskets.html

The egg is going to be hot as hell and takes forever to cool.  But it doesn't get so hot you can't transport it with in a pickup bed. 

• Sorta like this?  http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/545812909/stainless_steel_fire_baskets.html

The egg is going to be hot as hell and takes forever to cool.  But it doesn't get so hot you can't transport it with in a pickup bed. 
    ahhhhh, so he's talking about something that goes INSIDE the Egg!!!   #-o

That could work, but he'd still need someplace to put that ring, which is where my suggestions come into play.  If it were me, I'd just bypass the ring since it's acting like a "middle man" anyway, and just scoop out the hot coals into a metal bucket.  

But either way, the Egg itself is still gonna take some time to cool down - it's not like the second he gets the last coal out, the Egg will magically be room temp!  :-?  :)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
    If it were me, I'd just dump the excess lump out on the ground and extinguish with my portable beer-driven fire extinguisher. :)

• If it were me, I'd just dump the excess lump out on the ground and extinguish with my portable beer-driven fire extinguisher. :)

Yes, the beer-stinguisher is a novel concept, except that it advocates alcohol abuse!!   =((

If only there was something that held the heat in efficiently that he could put the hot coals into... wait... got an idea... here ya go:  =))
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
    Lots of ways to "abuse" alcohol....I'm siding with Smokey the Bear and using it as an excuse to take the "ab" out of "abuse".... :)

• Yeah, I was talking about a basket that goes inside the Egg which would contain the lump during the whole cooking process.  I know that the ceramic holds the heat (that's what we love about our Eggs) and that it would not cool in a New York minute like a metal grill, but getting the hot coals out quickly starts the cooling process quickly.  I have been scooping out the coals, but I was wondering if there was a better way.  Then I thought about a basket.

One of the places we take our small to is my Mom's who lives in a pretty nice neighborhood.  I'm pretty sure portable beer-driven fire extinguishing is either against local ordinances or at the very least a serious breach of the Homeowner's Association Rules.    

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

• cookingdude555cookingdude555 Posts: 924
    edited September 2012
    I have wanted to do the same thing for years. Here is one that I have kicked around: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=598925&catid=1# Edit: looks like most of the photos were removed. You sort of get an idea though.

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3

• bud812bud812 Posts: 1,460
    If it were me, I'd just dump the excess lump out on the ground and extinguish with my portable beer-driven fire extinguisher. :)

I got one of them thar things & it works real well..

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• I have wanted to do the same thing for years. Here is one that I have kicked around: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=598925&catid=1# Edit: looks like most of the photos were removed. You sort of get an idea though.
    That is exactly what I was thinking about.  Looks like I'll have to play around in the garage and see what comes out of it.  Projects keep stacking up, but at least this is a fun one.

• I recently learned that at the University of Oregon "Duck" football games, charcoal bbq's are not allowed tailgating any longer due to folks dumping out their ash's. on the ground.

RicklesssS in Oregon.

I got it.  Make a basket out of some expanded steel.  I used expanded steel for my shop mezzanine - it's strong and cheap.  Just need to make a hoop and add a bottom.  Should be pretty simple for a novice welder, and you can cut the stuff about 10 different ways (bolt cutters, jig saw, sawzall, die grinder, grinder, oxy-actylene, plasma, wire cutters, etc.).

• tjvtjv Posts: 3,354
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=598925&catid=1#

that link takes me back a bit.....lump bucket pictured is still in the large egg doing it's thing..............

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjv said:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=598925&catid=1#

that link takes me back a bit.....lump bucket pictured is still in the large egg doing it's thing..............

t

Ever consider making these to sell on your site? I would be very interested.

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3