Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Regret the large vs XL? and thoughts on sale pricing...

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    benny said:

buy them both!!.  I have a large (over 7 years) and an Xl (almost 2 years). I like them both.

the xl for the extra room...and convenience of not having to make the cook fit......but two types of cooks I specifically like the xl ( and if i could only have one egg why Id go with the xl) is that I can smoke a whole packer brisket with it laying flat , and for doing pizza.  I like the room and extra area around the stone , i get better consistent crust on the xl, with less effort.

Final reason , is if I'm cooking for a group of people I can get more butts in the xl , grill more steaks etc. I recently got rid of my big steel smoker....and my wife said "why get rid of it what if you need to cook for a really big gorup....I said I'm done with that but if I do....I'll get another xl and be fine" good luck.......

P.S. the BBQ guru is what every egg man needs for christmas.....or birthday, or fun

Not to say I don't agree with you on the Xl vs' large, but I can do a 17lb packer lying flat in my large so that's not really an issue. They can touch the dome a little when they are that big but I rarely do 17 lb packers anyway. anything under that fits with room to spare

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • xraypat23
    Options
    I have a large, and it cost me around 1200 all decked out...cover, electric lighter, plate setter, nest, grid lifter, ash tool, coal and wood chips.  Im building a table, and the only thing it's missing is an XL...I make a lot of pizzas, but 13-15 inch pizzas are annoying because im making 10 of them to feed a large group. On the xl it's a 20 inch stone, i can make a standard 18" pizza. Also for briskets(i do bbq competitions) the xl is the perfect size. The large will serve you fine, but the xl has more room, and uses more coal....decisions decisions. BOTH would be your best bet!
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    Options
    benny said:

buy them both!!.  I have a large (over 7 years) and an Xl (almost 2 years). I like them both.

the xl for the extra room...and convenience of not having to make the cook fit......but two types of cooks I specifically like the xl ( and if i could only have one egg why Id go with the xl) is that I can smoke a whole packer brisket with it laying flat , and for doing pizza.  I like the room and extra area around the stone , i get better consistent crust on the xl, with less effort.

Final reason , is if I'm cooking for a group of people I can get more butts in the xl , grill more steaks etc. I recently got rid of my big steel smoker....and my wife said "why get rid of it what if you need to cook for a really big gorup....I said I'm done with that but if I do....I'll get another xl and be fine" good luck.......

P.S. the BBQ guru is what every egg man needs for christmas.....or birthday, or fun

Not to say I don't agree with you on the Xl vs' large, but I can do a 17lb packer lying flat in my large so that's not really an issue. They can touch the dome a little when they are that big but I rarely do 17 lb packers anyway. anything under that fits with room to spare

but i find that it is harder to control indirect that far out and that as a result the ends of the flat can dry out.  and that it is just easier to do on the xl with room to spare. .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options

Guess you conveniently didn't mention the FACT that the link you posted was from a TOTALLY different company that is out of business (Richard Johnson is done).

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story, huh?

my bad, didnt know it wasnt the same company, the other company that used to make the tiled ones didnt stand behind them, probably the main reason they are gone. anyways all ceramic kamados can flake the exterior, even a bge

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    How about seeing if the neighbor is interested in buying your present table and building a new one?  Plenty of room for an XL then.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • jrog74
    Options
    Where is this sale going on at? My local dealer has a Large with NOTHING for $800. 
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i have a large about 4/5 months old now just got the XL this past saturday and love them both 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • jimreed777
    Options
    jrog74 said:
    Where is this sale going on at? My local dealer has a Large with NOTHING for $800. 
    Town and Country Hardware - Raleigh
  • chrisnjenn
    Options

Guess you conveniently didn't mention the FACT that the link you posted was from a TOTALLY different company that is out of business (Richard Johnson is done).

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story, huh?

my bad, didnt know it wasnt the same company, the other company that used to make the tiled ones didnt stand behind them, probably the main reason they are gone. anyways all ceramic kamados can flake the exterior, even a bge

Sorry I was snippy.  I honestly thought you knew and was mocking me.  My mistake.
  • dantesinferno
    Options
    XL for those days you need the space.......and I guarantee that day will come.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I am selling one of my larges and getting an XL. No real need for it I have only ever had a space issue with huge briskets not fitting flat on the large but I want an XL. If it had a choice I would choose a large and a small over the XL 2 different temps to cook on helps alot. I cook for 10-15 people every Tuesday with just my small and mini and never have any issues feeding people.
  • mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I bought a large. I could have bought any but that was the size I wanted. Went from a 21" weber kettle that was always way to big for us (family of 3). I still have my Weber smoker and the kettle just in case we have a big BBQ. If I need more room, I will make a expandable rack. In my case, I dont even come close to filling the large.

If I entertained a lot, I would for sure get the XL.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited September 2012
    Options
    The xl is the one I don't have, and I would gladly exchange the large for it.
  • jimreed777
    Options
    You guys have been very helpful.

I have decided that $200 plus tax out of pocket on the $650 medium price that gives me a large is the way to go.

The large fits my table. (which was roughly $400 of cypress and cedar and granite, etc.) I am going to spend the other $200 on an adjustable rack for the large. 

If I were starting from scratch...XL would be my choice. 

I will keep an eye out for a small or medium on CL for those times when I need a small for searing while the large is smoking for a large group.

I also know that my neighbor would be happy to lend me the medium if I need it for a large cook.

Thanks again guys. I hope that this post and your responses help out some other people making a similar decision.

Happy egging!
  • pmckinney4
    Options

I will graciously disagree with pmckinney4.  A platesetter is essential IMHO.  Indirect roasting, low/slow smokes,I can't live without it.

I have a platesetter myself.  However, my understanding is that the woo gives you the ability for indirect cooking and low/slow smokes by using a pizza stone with you.   It then also give the ability of adjusting the height of the grate and some other options as well.   I am probably going to get one for myself next year (maybe for christmas).     I kind of regretted getting the platesetter after I saw that on this forum.  The platesetter works, just not as versatile from my understanding.
  • ccpoulin1
    Options
    You have to do what works for you and your situation.  I got the XL, and i normally just cook for myself, my wife and my daughter, and i have 0 regrets ( and neither do friends and neighbors!).  It does make sense if you already have a good table to take the route you are on!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Options
    Everyday I use my XL I am grateful I had the good sense to do so. I hate to be limited. There is great reason to have other sizes as well, but in my opinion, if you had to pick one .....XL
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • lakewade
    Options
    I have a large BGE and it has worked great.  I have rarely run into space issues. That said, my next one will be an XL.  (But I will also keep the large.)  And I want a small one too.  This is ridiculous.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have a large, but space can be an issue at times.  I get creative when those times happen.  I bought a small for tailgating & picnics.  I love them both!
    Flint, Michigan