Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

frozen pork butt

Options
bertscampers
bertscampers Posts: 136
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just had friends call.  Coming over tomorrow for pulled pork.  I have a frozen 9 lbs butt.  If I threw it on at 11:00 tonight would it be okay.  I'm not sure how much it will thaw.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    What time tomorrow?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Frozen is not the issue-consumption time and dome cook temp are drivers as Cen-tex (welcome back) notes.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Roob
    Roob Posts: 9
    Options
    I turbocooked a 6 lb pork butt in 6 hours at 300 to 325.  If you keep temps above 300, and assuming it has thawed completely before throwing it on,  the pork should be ready for breakfast the next morning.  If you don't need it to be done till dinner time,  then you're throwing it on way too early.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Frozen is not the issue-consumption time and dome cook temp are drivers as Cen-tex (welcome back) notes.
    Thank you :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bertscampers
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I would like to eat at 5-6 tomorrow its 9 lbs, so I figure if I throw it on at 10:30 at 250 dome temp I should be okay.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Your game plan should work-frozen will likely add no more than 45-60 mins to the cook (tops), You may also end up with a deeper smoke (cosmetic) ring given the cold start.  Just make sure you have a stable temp (give it at least an hour with the butt on) before you hit the rack-down the road check-out turbo butts-mentioned above.  Enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Let us know how it turns out. Starting off frozen may lead to better end product, could be a new way of smoking!
    Boom
  • bertscampers
    Options
    Cheers guys.  I've been at this a couple of months.  Had a few things that not work out as planned but overall its been fantastic.  I am sure it will be fine.  I will start things up in a hour or so.  This way the temp will be stable then on at 11 in bed after 12.  Now I just need to get the dog to check up on things and hope the skunk doesn't come around tonight.

Cheers
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I would just put it on now. If it gets done early foil it and put it in a cooler to keep it warm. IMHO that is way better then trying to finish a butt that is not cooperating especially when guests are coming. Less stress on the cook and more time tomorrow to relax and get things ready.
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    I never use frozen butts, brisket or steaks.  No frozen meat ever in my Egg!  Just a personal preference.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • bertscampers
    Options
    Thanks guys.  After chasing temps all night I am still in the stall.  I should be good to go for the after noon.  I think some moisture got into my egg since it smoke heavy for more then 1.5 hours and then I put the butt on.  I had to have the vent open wider then normal and it was hard to figure things out.  This morning its back to the norm.

Cheers
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Did you put it on frozen?  i'm curious about this - someone said a while back that it didn't matter if it was frozen when it went on.  If this works out, it'd change the way I order butts in.  

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• bertscampers
    Options
    I pulled it out at 7:00 pm and put it on at 11:00 the outside of the butt was thawed enough to hold onto the rub.  It seems fine but I did chase temps but I think that was due to moisture.  It is taking longer then expected as I am still in the stall, 13 hours later for a 9 lbs butt.

I will keep you posted.
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    You will get arrested if you pull it out.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • bertscampers
    Options
    For those interested it worked out great.  It pulled nicely, really moist.  Okay, that doesn't sound right.  Any way, frozen is fine.

Cheers