Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

zuchini crab cakes

cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Yummy
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    looks good more info please 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yum! 

Hey, I bought one of those water/diamond polishing kits for cement, is that what you used to polish the top?  I'm itchin' to do a concrete table.
  • @nolaegghead I wish I could help with the concrete question. My buddy made my table. He does use an electric grinder with a water attachment. It has a diamond wheel. Send me a pic. I know what his looks like, but don't know what they are specifically called.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cortguitarman - those look GOOOOD!  I just did salmon cakes this weekend (no zucchini), and they turned out really well. 

One question though - when I pulled them outta the Egg the outsides were "toasted" while the insides were mushy - which is perfect.  However,
    I noticed that when I pulled them outta the fridge & then warmed them up in the microwave, the outsides turned "mushy"too (ie, microwaving waving them removed the "toasty" exterior). 

If/when you have any leftovers, please let me know if yours are like that too.  I had half a mind to just fire up the Egg again & re-cook them to get that toastiness back!! 
    =P~
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited September 2012
    Ok, here is the craziest thing about these crab cakes. Thy taste like crabcakes, but have absolutely no crab in them. Here is the recipe.

4c shredded zucchini. Do not peel.
    2c bread crumbs
    4 eggs
    1 T mayo
    2 T old bay
    1/2 c parmesan cheese
    2 cloves garlic, minced.

Mix together and fry in oil until outsides are crispy.

Mark Annville, PA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Ok, here is the craziest thing about these crab cakes. Thy taste like crabcakes, but have absolutely no crab in them. Here is the recipe. 4c shredded zucchini. Do not peel. 2c bread crumbs 4 eggs 1 T mayo 2 T old bay Mix together and fry in oil until outsides are crispy.
    I'm gonna try those, they look affordable!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Actually very affordable and very good. While I'll admit, they aren't exactly like a great Maryland crab cake, they are still really good. The zucchini takes on the old bay flavor and the texture of crab meat.

@Botch you'll need 2 large zucchinis to get 4 cups. They make about 8 cakes. Also, you may have to add extra bread crumbs to the mixture if they feel too wet.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bigphil
    @cortguitarman Thanks for sharing diffidently gonna try them 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bigphil
    Made these tonight for my lunch tomorrow only thing i changed was adding onion and some garlic . They really do taste like crab cakes very tasty thanks cortguitarman for sharing the recipe . Had a dozen of them between my wife and neighbor i have 3 left for lunch .
  • Glad you liked them. Maybe a better name would be poor man's crab cakes.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • @bigphil good call on the onion. I realized that I forgot to list garlic in the recipe. I edited it, but you must not have seen it. I use 2 cloves of minced garlic.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Glad you liked them. Maybe a better name would be poor man's crab cakes.

Or zucchini (pan)cake...like potato pancakes!
  • bigphil
    @cortguitarman no i didn't see but got it now thanks!!!!