It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340
This almost never happens. First try on something just a bit different it it worked out. I'm particularly grateful after a stir-fry failure yesterday.
So I trimmed some fat from the "trimmed" tri-tip marinated it for 24 hours in shiraz, garlic and S&P. I didn't want a salty "brine" but I did want the salinity to exceed the meat so the meat would exchange water for wine (His first miracle). A tsp of kosher salt, 8 twists of the pepper grinder and three cloves of chopped garlic.
Lots of toys to play with. I used the medium length shaft on the SR. It worked out great. Not necessary but still great.
Out she comes shiraz purple:
I used a chimney to start for across the box heat. Flopped her directly on the hot coals for 90+ seconds per side and a bit for the ends as well.
She came out with a nice sear. Thermapen said mid 60's inside so not cooked yet. That's good.
I pre-heated the SR, spyder/stone and 2Qt Dutch oven to 450. I previously turned a great cook to mediocre by heating Meg to temp and then putting in the AR. Big mistake. Steel and stone sucks up heat and throws everything off.
So after pulling everything off for a minute or two I tossed in a bunch of apple chips. Instant smoke meant issues hooking up the grid sensor but after a minute or two it got done.
I hadn't intended to switch from Bud to Red Tail so soon but the smoke made me do it.
She came off perfect. It didn't take very long but don't ask me how long.
Shrooms have given up their water over butter and now it's more shiraz, S&P and chopped fresh rosemary while meat rests.
I told Wife I intended to pull it at 125, she insisted 124 so I pulled it at 123 and it came out great. Next time 121.
Great meal, good day. It's always a good day when Meg does it right!
A couple notes:
Dome said 350 at one point and Mav grid said 432. A few quick adjustments got all in line. +1 for the Mav. I cooked this meat to grid, not dome.
Mav said meat was 124. A few pokes with the Thermapen found 99. Re-adjusted the Mav probe and finished just right. +1 for the Thermapen.