Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Erector set table and CL LBGE rebuilt

miscjames
miscjames Posts: 78
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well I picked up a LBGE with a table on CL for 450. He said it was about 2.5 years old. But the interior hardly look used. But the guy lived right on the ocean. So the bands and hinge had to be replaced as they were rusted pretty bad and I didn’t trust them. The temp Gauge had to be replaced and the felt gasket basically fell off. The DW and the fire grate had some deep surface rust on them and the spark catcher screen was rusted completely out. I picked up a new temp gauge, bands and hinge, and a felt gasket. And I picked up a plate setter for it because I was there.  I took the DW fire grate, and lower damper door and buffed them up then put them in a zip lock bag with some vegetable oil during the table and egg rebuild to get all the salt and stuff out of the cast iron. Washed them up afterwards and I will burn them off the rest of the way When I fire it up. When I put the bands on I used the spring method to keep from bending the bolts. Works pretty well but I am going to keep checking it to make sure.

Well after closer examination of the table it was in pretty bad shape so I tossed it and made one out of some scraps I had laying around. I have a few server racks in my garage (because they were throwing them away at work). So I took the HP one I had (because it had casters and was rated at 3000lbs) and cut it in half. Then I built the supports for the egg out of some square stock I had. The granite you see came from a granite counter top company that gives away there scraps. I used the felt gasket between the metal and the egg as a cushion when I roll it around. Most of the other parts you see are different pieces from the server racks cut and modified to do what I needed them to do. Then went and got a Nomex and put it on. The table isn’t the prettiest thing on the block but it’s not going anywhere. I will probably use the other half of the server rack to build one very similar for my MBGE.

imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Great idea. That set up should last a long time.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • That's a great idea!  I notice the Egg sits a lot higher than the medium in the nest.  You must be tall like me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I think it looks great.  It's amazing what you can find in the bone yard at a granite place.  Every time I need a piece of granite I bring the owner beer. Now that I've got a BGE I may have to bring him beer and meat.

Jeff

• hehe... pretty industrious!!  

BTW, I used square steel channel to sit my Egg on as well.  Only difference is that I used 2 instead of 3, and I painted mine w/ Stove Bright.  

What is the handle of the table made from?  
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • @Fred: Ya I am 6'2 and my wife isn't much shorter. I got tired of bending over all the time for my MBGE. My only concern is flashbacks (I will just have to be careful.)

@Vit: The counter place I have been going to just tosses them in a big trailer. I been getting the crumbles for my wife's flower bed. But they have big pieces in there sometimes so I grab what I think I can use. 

@Hillbilly: The handle is from an old sonogram machine that had a nice base and a caster, that I mounted my table saw on. (that is all I really got off it as the rest was stuff i couldn't use).

Thanks all for the comments... 
  • Finally a good use for a felt gasket.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    miscjames said:
    @Hillbilly: The handle is from an old sonogram machine that had a nice base and a caster, that I mounted my table saw on. (that is all I really got off it as the rest was stuff i couldn't use).
    hehe... a sonogram machine handle!!  CLASSIC!!  ^:)^

Now if you can just get hold of an old mammogram machine & convert it into a panini press & attach it to the side, you'd be the hero!!  >:D<
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee