Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Clean burn after a labor day double (pics)

BadongBadong Posts: 126
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Had to do a clean burn today to get rid of all the residual fat crusted to the inside my egg.  Friend was hosting a giant labor day party so I told him I would smoke a brisket and a pork shoulder.  Ended up with a 16 lbs brisket and an 8.5 shoulder.  Anyone ever cut a brisket to make it fit on the large?

Anyway, somehow I forgot to bring the point with me and it found its way into my fridge.

I keep thinking simpler is better.  No mustard, nothing in the drip pan, no foiling.  I did inject the brisket but I don't think I'm doing that anymore either.  If you look at the pic of the sliced you can see the injections.  Brisket took 25 hours and the should took 12.
·

Comments

• "Anyone ever cut a brisket to make it fit on the large?"

Instead of cutting it, you might be able to get away with draping it over an inverted v-rack (if you have one). 
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • "Anyone ever cut a brisket to make it fit on the large?"

Instead of cutting it, you might be able to get away with draping it over an inverted v-rack (if you have one). 
    +1 - that is what I do.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • BadongBadong Posts: 126
    edited September 2012
    I just squished it in there.  It was touching both sides.

Clean burn is winding down.  Pics soon.
    ·
    Firebox and place setter are clean but I finally fried my gasket . . .
    ·
  • Mein Gott that is clean.  And I, along with many others, haven't had a gasket in years.
    ·
  • At what temp did you do the brisket?  Looks delish!
    ·
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 259
    Badong, curious - how did you do your clean burn?
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
    ·
    Brisket @ 225 grate for 25 hours, no crutch.  It was a hit.

Clean burn, filled the firebox with lump, put the daisy wheel inside, opened up the vent and let 'er rip.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,055
    buh-bye, sweet gasket.  been nice knowin' ya.

·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    Dont forget to re-season the daisy wheel.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
    tazcrash said:
    How do I do that?
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,055
    Badong said:
    tazcrash said:
    How do I do that?
    Cover it in oil and put it in your oven at 450 for a couple of hours.  You can use an egg as an oven too, although you'll get some soot on it.

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,279
    Nola...did you say "oven"? For shame....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·