Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Painting the egg

BdcoaibgeBdcoaibge Posts: 0
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever painted a big green egg and if so what kind of paint did you use for the high heat.
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,951
    I don't know how you'd get paint to stick to the ceramic glaze - it's like glass.  This stuff handles 2000 F.  http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/49-266-high-heat-spray-paint/rustoleum-high-heat-spray-paint-128755.aspx

·

• Yes, you'd probably have to sand / scuff up the glaze on the Egg in order to get any paint to stick.

And, unless you have a very old Egg (pre glazing), I would NOT paint it.  First of all, the glazing is baked onto the ceramic, so unless you have access to a kiln / forge that is large enough to bake on your paint, you'd be removing factory glaze which is of better quality to replace it w/ something homemade of lesser quality.  Not to mention that I almost guarantee this would void your warranty. 

Also, I'm pretty sure that Rust-Oleum paint that Nolaegghead linked to is the same stuff that I used to paint most of the metal pieces on my table - and ummmm, in my opinion - that stuff SUCKS!!  I've only used the table a handful of times since getting it done, and the paint is ALREADY starting to chip / peel off.  I'll have to check when I get the time, but I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff. 

I had better luck using Stove Bright, and will eventually repaint all the parts which are now painted w/ the Rust-Oleum w/ the Stove Bright. 

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
    ·
    I've been using that Rustoleum grill paint for years and it's not very impact resistant until it cures for a couple of weeks, and still, not that impact resistant.  And that's if you have a super clean base to apply to.  It's designed to resist heat more than any other characteristic.  I agree with hillbilly that painting the egg is not a good idea.  If it's old and ugly, maybe put a cover on it.  But then again, you didn't mention why you wanted to paint it.

·

JwgreDeux said:
    I wonder how it held up over the years to the heat.  Paint was rated at 500F.

Sure is blinged-out!

·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Several PGA pro golfers have BGE's and have had them glazed with their college colors...look for the links on google...
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,522
    edited September 2012

JwgreDeux said:
    I wonder how it held up over the years to the heat.  Paint was rated at 500F.

Sure is blinged-out!
    That way the Egg can match my pimp chalice!
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
    And it's gotta match mah shoez!

·
  • Ha!!! I love the shoes.Lookin snazzy!
    ·