Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs gone bad?

Options
gte1
gte1 Posts: 379
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Had a double pack of ribs in the fridge. Sell by date was yesterday. Pulled off the top rack and cleaned it up. Bottom rack had greenish tinge to ends and under rack, smell was a little different also. Throw them both out?
George

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    the "sell by" date doesn't mean much, just that the meat at that date probably isn't as good as it was when the market packaged it. I've used quite a bit of meat at discount that was sold several days after "sell by."

However, "green" and meat do not go together. Likewise, if it has a smell other than meat or blood, time to say good bye.
  • gte1
    Options
    Tossed them both right after I posted, wasn't feeling the green color.
    George
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Stike would argue that's when meat is at it's best. :)

Green tint - ok.  Green and fuzzy - not ok. 

It's very common for meat to develop a green tint, especially when two or more pieces are packages together.
    Options
    i probably wouldnt have thought to much about them if they were beef ribs,  ive never seen pork and green, nope would probably chuck green pork ribs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I pretty much go by smell. If it smells like purification (aka "3 day old road kill"), I'm 86'n it. 
    Options
    I miss Stike!!!!  This is the perfect thread for him.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• gte1
    Options
    The smell was unusual, not really like rotting meat, but not normal either.
    George
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The reason I become very distrustful of meats that have anything other than a meat or blood smell is that the organisms that can poison one don't make an odor. If there is an off smell, its not clear evidence that there is something harmful. But it is an indicator that anything harmful there is also growing.

Considering that the package was just past the sell by date, I wouldn't expect any smells until at least 4 days in a 40 degree fridge.

Altho it is a very crude rule of thumb, I stick with "when in doubt, throw it out."
  • miscjames
    Options
    Green ribs and Ham !!!

Sorry i could not resist 
  • nolaegghead
    edited September 2012
    Options
    If it has something really bad, like a virulent serotype of E. coli, chances are it came from the meat processing (cross contamination) or that particular animal and it's not going to manifest as a color or smell.  You just need to remember these bacteria are very, very rare and really the only thing you can do to mitigate getting sick is to get your meat from a good source.  Decomposition bacteria responsible for purification, natural enzymes, fungus and mold are all part of the process of aging meat, they changes the taste and texture. 

I've gotten sick as a dog from bad shellfish.  Tasted great.  Unfortunately something contaiminated the water they live in, like someone's camp had a leaking septic tank subsequently contaminated the oysters.  Oysters probably weren't sick, but I felt like I was gonna die.

But as they say, discretion is the better part of valor, and I can't argue with "when in doubt, throw it out."
    If you dont like the smell... throw them out... my wife quite often asks about hamburger that isnt red but a slight brown....then you break it open and its bright red.... enough said... when it stinks it goes out!  

BGE Large... Go get 'em! "Cant means you haven't tried."

Tulsa, OK

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I pretty much go by smell. If it smells like purification (aka "3 day old road kill"), I'm 86'n it. 
    LOL, I have no sense of smell.  A day old diaper or a daisy smells the same.  I guess I have a disadvantage here.  Folks can't believe I can cook because the lack of nose, but I think it probably leads me to strong spicing.  I tend to go by appearance and feel.  Slimy texture goes in the trash.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Doc, I am just the opposite...I can keen sense of smell and when I am on the last leg of a long international flight, I want to divorce my nose. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Doc, I am just the opposite...I can keen sense of smell and when I am on the last leg of a long international flight, I want to divorce my nose. 
    On the other hand, you know what your freshly washed babies smelled like.  I do not.  I would trade some stink for some roses.

I suspect this counts as a hijack, sorry.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Doc, not a hijack.  Smell is relevant to the thread subject.  On a side note, I have a friend that lost her sense of smell after a terrible accident in Zimbabwe when she was in the Peace Corp.  Made her look at food differently.

Back to the point at hand - you're brain, all our brains, compensate with a loss of input.  You probably have heightened senses of taste - and texture.  Lot of sensory input there to compensate.
    Back to topic,  I had to go reach back to gray matter that has more cobwebs that my ceiling, but here goes.  Meat gets a greenish tint from the myoglobin in the tissue and the reflection of the UV light (I have seen this near/around the price sticker and also see this in pastrami).  
    OTH, green meat that smells sour, or is slimy is probably not good eats.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx