Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Is this OK to use? (Sorry for the HUGE pics)

KntroverCKntroverC Posts: 5
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi everybody!

I had this Hickory sitting in my garage and finally decided to split it. Is it still OK to use?

Thanks

·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,276
    Yep.  I'd cut it into smaller chunks, but bark and all, it's good.

·

• Yep.  I'd cut it into smaller chunks, but bark and all, it's good.
    +1 - don't think you can wrong with shag bark, well it likes like shag bark to me - based on my firewood pile, I'd say maybe 3 to 4 years old?
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Why wouldn't it be OK to use?  Unless you've sprayed it down w/ some hazardous chemicals, it's wood, and it'll smoke ;)

There's a few folks who buy (NON-treated) cedar roof shingles to use as cedar planks for foods like salmon.  And they got the idea from the natives indians who have used cedar (and other) woods for cooking purposes for thousands of years. 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
    ·
  • Whew, thank you so much! I was considering throwing it out with the trash!
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,522
    Looks pretty clean. I'd avoid anyplace that seems rotten (soft, mushy, crumbly). I've never read about anyone smoking with fungus or lichen, so I'd toss any portion that had those. Otherwise, looks like a good supply of chunks.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,276
    A bunch of trees fell around the neighborhood when hurricane Isaac rolled through.  Now I have a lifetime supply of pecan, cedar and oak.

·
  • I don't use cedar roof shingles, but I do buy cedar fence boards, usually 1"X6"X6' for a buck at the local lumber yard. Then I just wack em' up into suitable lengths. For those without a saw, the lumber yard will even cut them for free.

The local grill store sells cedar planks in packages of 6 for $10....  ;>)

RicklesssssS in Oregon

·
  • Rick, never thought about cedar fence post, thanks
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·