Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer can chicken

Options
2»

Comments

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I'd put my spatchcock'd chicken against a beer can chicken any day.
    I have done birds both ways - each has its own attributes.  My BCC has always been wonderfully tender and flavorful.  The benefit is ability to include spices and flavors in the mixture you put into the beer can.  With the rub of your choice, Spatchcock is grilled perfection, as opposed to a more roasted approach with BCC.  Both are great methods.  But, having said this, if forced to pick just one method (which is totally contrary to the spirit of BGE cooking) I would probably nod towards spatchcock.

Damn..... it's only 9:30 in the morning and I am already dreaming of cooking dinner....
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • miscjames
    Options
    I have done BCC with N/P on my Med. with a stand. Had to slide it to the back a little to avoid the temp gauge. But I do mine direct just out of habit. 
  • Marcusp
    Options
    Spatchcocked is better as you can drink the beer instead of putting in chickens butt.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have done a set up on my small just like  R2Egg2Q...except I don't have the chicken head.  A simple pie pan with an el-cheapo beer can holder fits great in the small.  I think I did a 7.5 lb "roaster" that way.  The top of the bird was right up in the dome but it cooked great. 

If you remove the plate setter I'm sure you will have no problem in a medium.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    My MBGE will do a beer can chicken, with or without the setter, I prefer the setter as it gives better protection and avoids burning, IMHO. 
    It also depends on the size of the bird, a three or four pounder will just fit using the setter with a drip pan sitting on two 3/8"X1"X6" tile strips to create an air space.So I have setter legs up, tile strips, drip pan, beer butt chicken.  
    If it is a franken-bird then it is grid on fire ring, drip pan, beer butt chicken, with a lower heat. 

After fighting with beer cans for awhile, I learned on this forum how to spatchcock chicken. It is easy and you can do 2 of them on a medium if you are careful about how you arrange them. We haven't done a beer butt chicken since.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Baysidebob
    Options
    My beer can chicken came out swell.  I did spatchcocked chicken and never went back.  I do it raised direct, many do it indirect, all are happy, happy, happy.
    My actuary says I'm dead.