Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Cleaning your egg

CoachTbushCoachTbush Posts: 0
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Whats the best way to clean your egg.  During my first use i let the egg burn very hot which i learned later not the best idea.  Anyway is their a correct way to clean the ceramic parts of my egg.

Comments

• FxLynchFxLynch Posts: 433
    Actually that is what most of us do, let it burn really hot for a while after a cook.  It does fry the stock gasket, but still seems to be the only way I've heard of to clean the parts and the inside.
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 217
    edited September 2012
    A really hot first burn may compromise the integrity of your gasket.  It's best to do a couple of moderate temperature cooks to start with. 

This thread begs the question: What is the tipping point for cleaning the inside of the egg?  Number of cooks?  Types of cooks?  Accumulation of residue?  Time?  Having had an egg for less than a year, it's not even on my radar.  Yet. 
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
  • I've never done a clean burn on purpose.  I do enough pizzas (once every 2-3 weeks) where I preheat the egg/plate setter/pizza stone to around 550-600.  That keeps everything pretty clean.  If you capture dripping fat from roasts with a drip pan or foil or something, that helps keeps you from getting in a situation where you have, for example, greasy pig fat smoke impacting your spatchcock chicken.

• EggdamEggdam Posts: 194

I've never done a clean burn on purpose.  I do enough pizzas (once every 2-3 weeks) where I preheat the egg/plate setter/pizza stone to around 550-600.  That keeps everything pretty clean.  If you capture dripping fat from roasts with a drip pan or foil or something, that helps keeps you from getting in a situation where you have, for example, greasy pig fat smoke impacting your spatchcock chicken.

+1