Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another pizza question - with pics

Options
Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I finally tried my first pizza on my large.  Bought the dough from Publix - a one pound ball.  Stretched it, applied toppings, put it on egg (plate setter with legs up, grate, fire bricks, feet, pizza stone.  First pizza was on for about 8 minutes and looked good but was still a bit undercooked.  Second went on and was rotated once or twice and stayed on a few minutes more than 8.  Came out crispy and nice.  Third was pretty much like the second.

I guess my question is this:  the ball of dough seems too big for one pizza.  The pizzas were were very thick.  I asked the guy in the bakery department if one ball was for one pizza and he said yes (I know about the "how many slices in a 16" issue).  So, do y'all cut the 16 oz ball of dough into smaller pieces?

First pizza for the kids.

Second pizza with set up.

imageimage
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    You could make the pizza bigger, ya got a lot of room on the stone. Just a random thought.. L-)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I divide into 2 or 3 pies.  The smaller pies are easier for me to handle getting on and off the Egg.
    Options
    Roll that sucker out.  If you are cooking on high heat the dough will burn before it cooks through.  Make the crust thinner or crank the heat down to around 400 to give the dough time to cook.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    What ever works is what to do. I put my setter legs down, put the pizza stone on the setter, no rack. I bake at 500F, target, can be anywhere from 475 to 550 dome. 
    The stone and setter act as one thermal mass, so after 15 minutes of stabilized heat, I wipe the stone with a damp cloth - not wet, just damp. it cools the stone slightly. I make my own dough.

Our pizza always comes out the way we like it. MBGE, Cheap 13"stone. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    Rule of thumb for dough ball sizes:

1 ounce per inch diameter of your pie.  12" pie = 12 oz dough ball.  I have found that a 14" pizza is the best size on the large Egg.  If you like thin crust make your ball 12 ounces for a 14".  An 8 oz ball is good for a personal pizza.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I make 16 inch pizzas with the 1 pound publix dough balls and cook at about 425 stone temp.  Turn a few times and it takes about 12 to 14 minutes to cook.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i get 3 pies per ball but they are really thin, 2.5 per dough ball would be better for me as 2 per ball is what i would consider a thick pie, theres no real rules for this, base it in what you want from a pizza, thats why theres thick crust, deep dish, newyork style, pan pizza, newengland greek, bakery style , cracker crust etc.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    You are making crackers not pizza.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    publix dough, I split in half for two pizzas or a pizza and a calzone.
    Dunedin, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    one dough ball

two per dough ball

three per dough ball

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    Options
    soooohungry! I'll take picture 3,4,5,or 6......nice looking pizza....