I bought my first large BGE about 2 weeks ago. I spent about 2 weeks researching different plans on the forum, trying to decide if I should spend $400 for a table, and $200 to make my own. I used the naked whiz plan as a guide, and made some adjustments to fit my needs. I am by no means a wood worker, so if you are thinking that building a table is out of your league, I would re-consider.
I used Redwood because the cost is reasonable and it was recommended at my lumberyard as a good alternative to cedar. I would recommend going to a lumber yard, because home depot and Loews did not have a very good selection. I did not in-lay the paver or the travertine tile on the top (like the naked whiz plan recommends), primarily because I wanted to reduce the number of cuts and chance for error. I used 4x4s for the legs, each cut at 30". I put on 4 heavy duty locking casters, so I could move it around easily on my back-porch.
The only tools I had were a tape measure, pencil, 2 clamps, saw-horse, level, electric drill, circular saw and a jigsaw. I tried to keep the plan as simple as possible, but if I ever do another table, I would take the extra time to inlay the pavers and the tile.
There were a few critical points in the build. The first was simply putting together the 1x6 and 4x4s to create the base for the legs (first picture). I knew these had to be perfect (or close to), or the table would end up crooked. The second was obviously the hole cut. Inside the frame, the treated 2x4s are about 22.5" between them, and you need to cut a 21" hole. This does not leave a lot of room for error. I probably spent 30 minutes measuring and re-measuring to make sure everything was perfect. I put a nail as close to dead center as I could and tied a 10.5" string to a pencil to trace the hole. Amazing how simple the pencil/string contraption was, and it came out perfectly centered.
I had the help of my 5 and 8 year old sons for about 90 minutes total, so I was basically building it alone. I drilled pilot holes for every screw, which took forever, but I did not want to split the wood. I also measured everything about 3 times, which may seem like common sense, but I had a goal of not going back to the lumberyard again over the weekend. The table took about 8 hours before I was ready to treat. I used 3 coats of spar urethane, and I love the look of the treated redwood. There were a few areas I would change, but over-all, I think it came out pretty well.
I've done baby back ribs, spatch-**** chicken, and an amazing pork tenderloin. Well worth the effort and I am ready for football season.