Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak and taters

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought I was defrosting a London Broil (didn't really look), and it turned out to be four very nice filets. What was I to do? "The Bandit" was comming over and was expecting London Broil. [p]I franticly looked in the pantry and found some "good ol'" Char Crust![p]I lightly coated the filets with Chili flavored oil and then char-crust. Next, on to a very hot egg (2-2-4). Well, it was one of the best ever, better that steaks with a mustard jacket and juicy as possible. Needless to say, London Broil was not missed. Only thing I need was a few taters. Any cooking suggestions (remember, the egg is 700-800 degrees)[p]Smokey

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Smokey,[p]See Nature Boy's post below for one idea, they come out pretty good. I usually nuke the taters on 50% power with the seasoning on them until they soften up a bit. Then coat with oil and grill.[p]The other is to stop by Wendy's and get a baked potato and side salad for something quick as a side. I don't usually do the Wendy's thing, but I had some extra folks show up for a party and it really saved me. You can take the potato out of the foil and place on the egg to dry out the skin a bit to help get rid of that steamed taste.[p]Zip

[ul][li]Nature Boy's Potatoes[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Zip,
    Wow you are organized!
    Great idea about the quick nuke first. That would really help when cooking with the steaks, as the browning time is very short.[p]I have been doing these a lot lately, cuz it is so quick and simple. I find they work best about 450-500, but can be done along with the steak if they are around the edge. They can burn very quickly depending on how much direct heat they get, but usually only one or two slices bite the dust when doing at steak temps. You have to move quickly when flipping, and you won't loose any to the coals if you use 2 grates rotated 90 degrees to each other. Once they are browned they are done.[p]Gonna do some tonight along with some boneless thighs in Stubb's marinade/baste.[p]Cheers.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ