Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red roasted peppers

Options
Hungry Joe
Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Every year I put up enough red roasted peppers when they are in season to use for the following year.

After washing I like to cut them open and remove the seeds and any bad spots then flatten them. Doing them this way makes it easier then trying to blacken whole peppers, just lay them down . No turning or unevenness. It also makes peeling them a whole lot easier since I don't have to deal with the seeds, just peel and slice them. As I take them off I put them in tightly covered bowls to cool which helps to make them easier to peel. Then I put them in bags and freeze them as is. We add EVO, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper before we eat them.

BTW I started with a nice hot egg around 400+ full of lump an by the time I was done there was very little fuel left. In total I did two full bushels.

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    Whoa! I roast a lot of peppers over the course of a summer but always did them whole...just like the cookbooks say, but your method makes much more sense. That turning and trying to get them blackened evenly was a real chore and I never would have attempted 2 bushels, the day just isn't long enough.
    Thanks for the lesson.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Great tips! Thanks. Don't have the freezer room, though I would love to do this. I do plan to rustle up some Hatch chilis, and this method will work.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    That's the way my mother did her peppers 50 years ago.  Great looking peppers!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    Options

Sam, my grandmother did them like this too expect i just throw them in a paper grocery bag (which are harder to get these days).

I cut them in thin strips marinate in olive oil, garlic salt pepper and fresh rosemary. then great on italian steak sandwhich , hoagies etc.  my wife makes hummus and they are good with hummas olives on pita with a bottle (or two) of red wine.

something else Ive learned along the  way is to not wash off the skins as it dimenishes the flavor alot.

Sams club has bags of red ancients whichh are like a red cubanelle for those of us who cant grow anything!

what type smoke do you like on these??

• gtk10583
    Options
    benny said:

Sam, my grandmother did them like this too expect i just throw them in a paper grocery bag (which are harder to get these days).

Not if you frequent the liquor store...  LOTS of brown paper bags
    B-)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Great idea on flattening the peppers first!  
    At first I thought that would allow the peppers to dry out, but thinking about it that is probably a good thing.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited September 2012
    Options

When someone first told me about flattening them like that I was skeptical. But after trying it the first time I was sold. Before then we did them whole in the oven because that was how Mom did them. Then I started doing them on the gasser and they were better then the oven because they blackened faster which left them with a firmer texture. That was pre-egg days. When I cool them in the sealed bowl and let them steam there seems to be as much juice left in the bowl as when we did them whole. And they do taste so much better coming off the egg.

This year I saved and froze the juice from the bowls and plan to make some kind sauce with it.

• cortguitarman
    Options
    Try cutting the tops off of some like pumpkins. Keep the tops, but cut the seeds off. Mix up mozzarella, basil, and croutons with a little EVOO. Stuff the peppers, put the top back on and roast standing upright. Cut in half and serve. Amazingly simple and delicious.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    going to give this a try.  Looks much easier and faster than doing them whole
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.