Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

As good as everybody says it is:spatchcocked chicken

YEMTrey
YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Too easy of a quick and cheap dinner. Rubbed one with Byron's Butt Rub and the other with DP Red Eye.
Turned out so moist and juicy it was crazy.
Did these at 325-350 indirect.
Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Very nice. I do mine direct @ 350* dome.
    Fairview, Texas
  • nemo said:
    Very nice. I do mine direct @ 350* dome.
    Me too but whatever works for you is great.  Before BGE wife had gotten grilled spatchcocked chicken from Mi Pueblo market grilled in the parking lot every day.  After the first BGE spatchcocked chicken that other stuff I had thought was good was really dry and tough.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Great looking split birds - but really, are there any bad looking ones? 
    Although I've done them direct, I find on my medium, it requires you to build the fire just so and watch them. 
    Indirect, anywhere between 350-400F dome, is always for me "moron" proof and the result is the way we like it. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Done them both ways, direct seems to produce a little crisper skin but both work great. I also do halves rather than spatchcock. They are a bit easier to handle, and I can move them around to cook more evenly.
    George
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    I've also done both ways. I ( i.e. SWMBO) found that the direct method (raised grid) gives it a bit of an unpleasant smoky flavor as the chicken fat burns up in the lump. Indirect it is...
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Love how the one bird is being much more modest with crossed legs. Nice cook. I usually do direct but these look great. May have to try indirect.
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Can't go wrong with spatchcock! looks great.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Did a couple myself on Friday, I go indirect 375-400 dome.  Repurposed on Saturday chopped up with a jalapeno, onion, cumming, oregano, chili powder and some stock for a filler for chicken burritoes.
    Edina, MN

• Budgeezer said:
    Did a couple myself on Friday, I go indirect 375-400 dome.  Repurposed on Saturday chopped up with a jalapeno, onion, cumming, oregano, chili powder and some stock for a filler for chicken burritoes.
    Yea, leftover spatchcock makes awesome dishes. I've done quesadillas, and nachos with outstanding results
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Just got an egg and tried a spatchcocked chicken for my first cook.  Seasoned with hungarian paprika, garlic, and pepper.  Cooked direct at 375-400 as I don't have a platesetter yet.  Tasty bird. Moist and juicy. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Budgeezer said:
    Did a couple myself on Friday, I go indirect 375-400 dome.  Repurposed on Saturday chopped up with a jalapeno, onion, cumming, oregano, chili powder and some stock for a filler for chicken burritoes.
    Yea, leftover spatchcock makes awesome dishes. I've done quesadillas, and nachos with outstanding results
    Excellent advice.  We have the equivalent of a whole bird left and the wife and I were discussing what to do with the remainders.  Burritos and quesadillas are at the top of the list.  I was trying to persuade her into making me some chicken salad so I could take it for lunch!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Did a spatchcock bird Saturday.  Taters right next to the bird.  Have always done mine direct with dome at 350.  Tried to flip it at 40 minutes and the bird was so juicy and tender that I lost a hind quarter.  Never have tried it indirect - may try that next with the taters under the bird. Ditto on the repurpose - chicken breakfast taco this morning. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Of course it depends on the size of the bird, but does a spatchcocked yardbird fit in a small egg?

Not sure I have my beer can thingy anymore, since all I do now is spatchcocking...(on the large egg, though.)

RicklessssS in Oregon