Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

now don't laugh at me, but

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
how does one go about smoking bacon? I love smoked bacon that comes on my favorite "Super Seven" pizza from a small franchise called Pisano's...though since I found Spin's sauce I've been making my own pizzas. Do I mirowave it to near done and then just put it off to the side on my BGE when I'm smoking something else? Hate to fire up humpty to just cook a little bacon - be like taking a jet for a one block trip! ^oo^~

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]You can drape the over a v-rack over a drip pan and smoke it at say 190° - 200° for about 15 minutes and then crank up the heat to about 325° to finish cooking until crispy. This will go pretty fast, so don't get sidetracked or you will have blackened bacon. [p]You will want to drape the bacon on the rack and place in the freezer until the bacon is frozen and place on the egg. The thicker bacon slices will do better than thin ones, but you do want uniform slices to make it easier. It can be sprayed with a mixture of maple syrup and apple juice for a real treat. If you want to use it as a pizza topping, cook it until it is firm, not crispy for placement on top of the pie. If you cover it with cheese, crispy will be fine.[p]
    Zip

• g-o
    g-o Posts: 39
    Options
    one feral kat, I got a small slab of fresh (uncured) bacon last week and I sliced it kind of thick and put it on the egg at about 220-230 with hickory smoke and left it on till I thought it was done (about an hr. I think). It turned out good. Real smoky. You could then chop it up in small pieces and keep it in the freezer till you need it for a pizza.[p]P.S. I answered your other question under (smoked turkey)[p]Gord

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    one feral kat,
    I took a different tact. Although I smoked the bacon on a different smoker (pre-egg) I just bought 4 One LB slabs of bacon that were pre sliced. I cut them I half and put them on the smoker at the lowest temp I could get and still smoke. I smoked the slabs for about 1 ½ hours, took them out and cooled them and bagged them and put them in the freezer. They were NOT cooked. We take out one package at a time (1/2LB) and cook them and the whole kitchen smells like smoked bacon. Now THAT'S a GRR...ATE smell to wake up to. You might have to buy a small egg to use in conjunction with your large to cold smoke in this manor. I know it's a sacrifice but your worth it.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]Smoked meat goes well on pizza. I like to use slab bacon and I alway place it on top of the cheese. The edges get a nice crispiness and the parts touching the cheese are a chewy doneness. A great mix of textures.[p]I use the smoking method described below by Zip. I favor a 50/50 mix of apple and hickory. I prefer to smoke early in a cook and this is the mix I use when cooking ribs. I simply drape a few thawed strips over the available rack space and smoke them during the start of the rib cook. The strips will quickly absorb smoke and it is easy to overdo the smoke flavor. As I smoke heavy, I remove them after 10-15 minutes (they are not cooked, just smoked).[p]I prefer to render the grease from the bacon in a pan using low - medium heat. This lets the bacon get the curly, bumpy shape that a microwave just can't do.[p]Spin