Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Clean burn after a labor day double (pics)

BadongBadong Posts: 126
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Had to do a clean burn today to get rid of all the residual fat crusted to the inside my egg.  Friend was hosting a giant labor day party so I told him I would smoke a brisket and a pork shoulder.  Ended up with a 16 lbs brisket and an 8.5 shoulder.  Anyone ever cut a brisket to make it fit on the large?

Anyway, somehow I forgot to bring the point with me and it found its way into my fridge.

I keep thinking simpler is better.  No mustard, nothing in the drip pan, no foiling.  I did inject the brisket but I don't think I'm doing that anymore either.  If you look at the pic of the sliced you can see the injections.  Brisket took 25 hours and the should took 12.
·

Comments

• "Anyone ever cut a brisket to make it fit on the large?"

Instead of cutting it, you might be able to get away with draping it over an inverted v-rack (if you have one). 
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • "Anyone ever cut a brisket to make it fit on the large?"

Instead of cutting it, you might be able to get away with draping it over an inverted v-rack (if you have one). 
    +1 - that is what I do.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • BadongBadong Posts: 126
    edited September 2012
    I just squished it in there.  It was touching both sides.

Clean burn is winding down.  Pics soon.
    ·
    Firebox and place setter are clean but I finally fried my gasket . . .
    ·
  • Mein Gott that is clean.  And I, along with many others, haven't had a gasket in years.
    ·
  • At what temp did you do the brisket?  Looks delish!
    ·
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 261
    Badong, curious - how did you do your clean burn?
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
    ·
    Brisket @ 225 grate for 25 hours, no crutch.  It was a hit.

Clean burn, filled the firebox with lump, put the daisy wheel inside, opened up the vent and let 'er rip.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,938
    buh-bye, sweet gasket.  been nice knowin' ya.

·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    Dont forget to re-season the daisy wheel.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
    tazcrash said:
    How do I do that?
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,938
    Badong said:
    tazcrash said:
    How do I do that?
    Cover it in oil and put it in your oven at 450 for a couple of hours.  You can use an egg as an oven too, although you'll get some soot on it.

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,589
    Nola...did you say "oven"? For shame....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·