Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CGW Swing Grate or CGS Adjustable Rig?

Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want to buy one of these for my large, not both of them. If you had to choose only one, which would you buy? I already have a Spider for searing near the coals. My main issue is multi-layer cooking. If I want to cook a Butt and some sausages at the same time, or have more ribs than will fit on one grid layer, etc. I also want to be able to cook raised direct at he felt line or higher. Which is more versatile, and meets my needs the most? I know they're both quality products made by great guys on this board, so I hate to stir the pot in front of them. But, I could really use some help and I need to order one of them this week. Thanks in advance for you opinions.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    might be hard to get an unbiased review because most just have one or the other. i have the ar, what i like most about it is high raised direct, and when cooking on two racks or with some big pieces of meat is the ability to grab the rack and pull it all off the egg at one time. convenient to get the turkey out, with the rack off the egg i can flip everything while the dome is shut and not worry about flame ups with the dome open and the chicken flames enveloped in flames etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • In for more information.
    Edina, MN

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited September 2012
    Like fish said, an unbiased opinion will be tough, since most have one or the other. There are a few forum members that do have both.

I have the AR, and I like it a lot. I cannot really speak about the Swing Rack since I don't own it, but the AR seems to me a little more versatile. My only complaint, is that it's a little combersome. I have the extender sitting atop the AR with a slide grid on it and it slides around too much, there is nothing to secure it down. Not a huge deal, but when my cook is over if the meat is sticking to the grid a little, it slides all over the place trying to unstick it. Also, it has quite a few components so you have to think out your cooks a little more.

Overall, I am really happy with the AR and it has allowed me to cook more meat, and cook as high up into the dome as I care too. I really don't think you can go wrong with either, both camps seem to love whichever one they got.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    There are several threads on here on both products you will find by doing a search.  Only you can decide what you want.  Read through the treads, look at your needs and what each product offers and what suits you the best.  Make a decision off of that. Tom and Franco have great products and both will take care of you. From my reads and partial experience, you cannot go wrong with either. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited September 2012

+1 with all of the above but, I have the adjustable rig, spider, grid extender and a pswoo3. I like them all. I really like the way Tom's drip pans work with the plate setter in the pswoo3, that made a big difference when I did six racks of baby back ribs recently. No need to block any hot spots with aluminum foil. I am guessing that if I had the CGW swing grate I would like that also.

In my opinion though the adjustable rig / spider combo is the most versatile.

• I have two large eggs and one has the AR and the other I have the swing grate. I use my swing grate with a spider and stone for indirect cooks.  I use my AR for raised grid direct cooking.  I like both for different reasons.  If I could only have one, it would be the AR.  It is more versatile, and I really like to do raised grid direct cooking.  But, while my meat is cooking on the AR I have the sides and aps cooking on the swing grate.  It all depends on what type of cooking you want to do.  If you are not sure, go with the AR.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• I have two large eggs and one has the AR and the other I have the swing grate. I use my swing grate with a spider and stone for indirect cooks.  I use my AR for raised grid direct cooking.  I like both for different reasons.  If I could only have one, it would be the AR.  It is more versatile, and I really like to do raised grid direct cooking.  But, while my meat is cooking on the AR I have the sides and aps cooking on the swing grate.  It all depends on what type of cooking you want to do.  If you are not sure, go with the AR.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I prefer the AR for indirect or raised direct.  I prefeer the SR for direct and hot.  I love the steel grate and the marks it leaves on meat and often just use the main grate sans "swing" part.  If I'm also doing onions or mushrooms in the crock pot the swing feature is great as well as for a mess of burgers, wings, etc. that need moving from hot to not-so-hot.  I got the AR first because my less than knowledgabel dealer had no platesetters.  I'm glad he didn't.  I'd start with the AR, sider and stone.  Possibly the oval stone as well but I use a 15" pizza stone for the same things. Then put the SR on your Christmas list.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • I'm in the same boat as Mayberry.  I think I will buy both because as I've learned from this forum that both systems have different strengths and capabilities.  I wish I had the cash to buy them both right now, but I don't.  One will have to wait until later.  Eenie meanie minie moe... 
    Flint, Michigan
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited September 2012
    I don't see the need to spend the money on both, but to each his own. I bought the AR because it is a lot versatile and I can cook a ton with my set up on it. I highly recommend it.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Just sent my wife a link to order the swing grates for our Large and XL egg my Xmas list most of our cooks would benefit with those . later i'll most likely order a AR set up for one just not sure for which yet 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • I don't see the need to spend the money on both, but to each his own. I bought the AR because it is a lot versatile and I can cook a ton with my set up on it. I highly recommend it.
    You are absolutely correct.  Lots of folks use bolts or firebricks to raise the grid when they wish and never purchase the fancy after-market stuff I have.  Many of them turn out better stuff than I ever will.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • I thought about getting both. I already had the pswoo and really wanted a second tier. I love the idea of the swing and the ar looks fabulous but I like my woo set up. Almost pulled the trigger on the ar and decided to try my hand at a home grown set up first. All I wanted was a second tier that I could easily get out of the way... advice on the forum, new weber grate, some stainless bolts, washers and nuts and I am in business. No fuss no muss. It was the end of the season so couldn't get the size grate I really want but an easy fix when I find one. Love my new set up
  • I don't see the need to spend the money on both, but to each his own. I bought the AR because it is a lot versatile and I can cook a ton with my set up on it. I highly recommend it.
    You are absolutely correct.  Lots of folks use bolts or firebricks to raise the grid when they wish and never purchase the fancy after-market stuff I have.  Many of them turn out better stuff than I ever will.

Yep. However, buying toys for the Eggs is so much fun. I thought about buying the swing grate, but after reading what some threads on here said, I decided not to. I don't need it anyways.