Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steaks

Options
Jerome Poole
Jerome Poole Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on cooking a filet about 21/2" thick and a NY strip 2". Does it need to be marinated with anything? What is the process for cooking these? I have been reading some of the posts talking about searing at 800 and letting it rest for 20 min. and then finish cooking it at 500. Don't want to mess up 2 good pieces of meat. If anyone can give me some advice, I would appreciate it.[p]
Jerome Catstorm@aol.com[p][p]

Comments

• BTG
    BTG Posts: 76
    Options
    Jerome,[p]Follow this link for T-Rex's steaks (detailed instructions). Greatest steaks you will ever eat.[p]BTG
    [ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jerome,[p]I follow the method in the BGE Cookbook or else the one for Scott's Infamous Mustard Steak on the recipe page here. It seems. to me, there is much to much complication, at times. I do agree with searing but not sure there is much gained from the waiting.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jerome,
    I did two 2 inch thick t-bones last week. Some salt and pepper and some dry rub for beef that I got at Penzys. I seared them on each side at 750 for one minute. Took them off, let them rest for 15 minutes and me and my bud had the best steaks we had ever eaten. They were cooked just right, medium rare. MMMMM MMMMMM GOOD!

• CarDude
    CarDude Posts: 4
    Options
    Jerome,
    I agree with BTG - use the TRex method and the wait will be worth it. I have never marinated my steaks but do use a steak seasoning which is mainly minced dry garlic and pepper. I love garlic so I add a little minced garlic when they hit the grill and the "overspray" onto the coals adds to the smoke flavor.[p]Enjoy[p]Tim

• Unknown
    Options
    Rex or Wiz,
    I suffer from ADD, is there an abreviated version of the T-Rex Doctoral Thesis 14 pages receipe.
    My Abridged version:
    Pick a good steak, spice to suit, create a roaring blaze 750 deg +or-, sear for 1(?) min per side, reduce heat to 350 +or-while resting (the meat) for 20 min, finish cooking to suit (maybe a thickness vs. time vs. doneness chart here), rest (the steak) for 3 min, eat.
    Is this about right? No offence meant as your steak fixin is the greatest I have ever found.
    Wow.
    Thanks,
    Bruce