Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Best Temp Gauge and Probe

nozob1nozob1 Posts: 43
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Which is best temp gauge and probe do you like the best? I know that Naked Whiz likes the Polder..but which one?
·

Comments

• @nozob1 - check this other discussion, similar question, I have no working knowledge of the Polder other than the two food probe model. Has all kinds of presets and temp ranges based on standards, not easy to use to just monitor the temperature of your grill and food. 

I bought a Maverick ET-732 about two months ago based on suggestions from others on this forum- it has two probes one for the grid temp, one for the food. 
    works great and was <$50 delivered. Lots of sources out there. 
    It is my understanding the BGE thermometer is a Maverick in BGE clothing. 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I am not familiar with the Polder but I can vouch for the Maverick ET-732.  I have used this for over a dozen overnight cooks plus a bunch of 1-3 hour cooks.  Works great every time.  BTW I'm still on my first set of batteries.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
    ·
  • +1 for Maverick ET-732
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • Thanks all!  Best to buy From Amazon?
    ·
  • Love my Maverick 732 and bought from Amazon for cheap. I think it was like $50.
    ·
  • qprhooliganqprhooligan Posts: 118
    edited September 2012
    How are you guys getting the et 732 for less than$50? I see it on Amazon for $60.
    ·
  • How are you guys getting the et 732 for less than$50? I see it on Amazon for $60.
    I've had good luck with Amazon (both.ca and .com), but you have to look on regular basis. A couple of months ago, I was checking out the 732 on Amazon.ca at about 11:00PM PDT, low and behold the 732 was $10 off. Ordered right then as I was pretty sure it is what I wanted. Talked to a friend within a few days, he looked, no discount available, in fact the 732 was very hard to find, kept referring to the 73. If you are not in a hurry watch for sales. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • In no hurry.  :)

·
  • Got a polder when I got my LBGE about 5 yrs ago. Works fine to just monitor temp. Got a ET 732 as a B'day gift last year for 39.95 + shpg. (Amazon) Now I can sleep during overnighters.  :)>-

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 259
    +1 for the ET 732.  Works like a charm.
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
    ·
  • logchieflogchief Posts: 493
    I'm picking up my LBGE tomorrow and was looking to see which one of these would be the one to get.  Guess I'll be doing an Amazon order tonight, looks good for the price.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
    ·
  • +1 on the Maverick.  I've got an iGrill and the bluetooth range on it sucks.  The Maverick works a good 60 feet from the BGE.   I've also got a Thermopen dual-probe and never use it anymore since I got the Maverick.  The wireless receiver really makes it great.
    ·