Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baker's Dozen Pizza Party

Options
Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Since we got our Large BGE last October, Pizza has to be one of the favorite things to cook on it. Sunday we had 13 people over for a pizza party and decided it was time to see if Tipo 00 is as good as everyone says it is. We used a recipe from Jamie Oliver that we have used before with King Arthur Bread Flour and figured the best way to taste the difference would be to use the same recipe swapping in the 00. It does have Semolina flour to help compare it to previous batches that had bread flour and semolina. We made the dough in three half batches so it would fit in the Kitchenaid.

For the mixer we did it on speed 1 till it formed a ball, let it rest for 10 minutes, and then 5 minutes on speed 4, then 2 more minutes on speed 1. We placed each batch into a oiled bowl, covered, and let rise. Then put dough into a oiled ziplock bag and store in fridge overnight. We pulled the dough out a couple hours before everyone arrived and cut each ball in quarters making 12 pizza skins in all. 

One hour before we fired up the egg, put the placesetter legs down with ceramic feet in-between it and the pizza stone.

After that it was time to start making some pies!

For large pizza parties we found that a Super Peel is really the best way to go. Last time we had cornmeal all over the kitchen and a couple of pizzas sat too long and did not want to slide off onto the stone. We left the corn meal in the pantry and had one pizza ready to go while someone else started making theirs. When I ordered my swing grate I did see Ceramic Grill Works also carries them. 

Even picking up two small pizzas was no problem. 

As the pies came off the egg just cutting the crust I could tell that it was better and forming the dough was much easier than when we used bread flour. 

One of the little guys said "this is the best cheese pizza ever, I love it when you cook on the Big Green Egg"

Since we had so many people over I decided we needed a dessert, while the Egg was getting its fair share of use we got out the Dutch Oven Table and made some Cobbler. After putting the brisket on Saturday morning we went to the Farmers Market and found some great peaches. The recipe is from one of our Dutch Oven cookbooks and I can post it if anyone wants. 
To anyone who is new to cooking in a Dutch Oven get a cheap foil liner, especially if making a cobbler, cleanup can be a nightmare..
One row of coals on the bottom and two rows on the top

Of course you can't have cobbler without some homemade vanilla ice cream!
I just got this attachment and it works great, freeze for 15 hours and you can have ice cream in 20 minutes!

And a game of Giant Jenga for those who already made their pizza

Time for Dessert

11 full size Pizzas and 2 mini ones I think everybody had a great time and nobody left hungry..

And yes Tipo 00 Flour is well worth finding to make the best dough possible, now if I can just find a place in the Oklahoma City area that carries it. Shipping was just as much as the flour. (Or maybe a bigger kitchen to store a 50 lb bag.) 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Very nice =D>

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Once again the egg makes a family and friends get together a success. Have used Jamie's recipe, also have this take on pizza dough from "the big bam guy", try it works really well for us. I find the fresh dough is a little more like bread, if it is frozen or cold stored, it is little more crispy and thin. 

Great cook out, congrats.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    Nicely done.
    Edina, MN

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Great looking pies and cobbler. Always fun to play around with new ingredients and recipes. I've seen that Kitchen Aid ice cream attachment before. Wondered how it worked, but we never have enough room in the freezer to store that bowl.

Love the giant Jenga. Always a hit at a party, but our little Yorkie isn'tmuch of a fan of the noise and commotion.....or being set on top of it.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Solson005
    Options
    Thanks everybody, it was a good weekend and we used the egg every day. Finally cool enough to sit outside while cooking instead of staying in the A/C.. 

@Griffin I really liked the ice cream maker, but I also have a deep freezer as well as the beer fridge in the garage for freezer storage. I have never liked the small batches most ice cream makers produce. This one makes 2 quarts worth so even after having 13 people over there was some leftover. We just started making the giant jenga a couple weeks ago and usually get asked to make another one everytime we play. Yeah small kids, pets, and drinks need to be clear of the danger zone, we only played on the patio once, now its in the grass..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks like a great time.  Very nicely done.
    Options
    Thanks it was fun. 

@Skiddymarker I will try that dough out, I think after this party we will be asked to do it again and again! 
  • 2SCdoodlegg
    Options
    Enjoyed the photos.  Thanks for sharing!

1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
  • GreenEggAndMan
    Options
    All I can say is wow!
  • Solson005
    Options
    Thanks guys! For only having been on this forum for a week or so I have found this is a great way to keep track of your cooks, to remember what you did well (and not so well). Gather priceless information from fellow eggheads and combine it all to make the best food that you can. I never would have imagined all the different setups for raised grids and pizza cooking. This has been fun to go through some peoples older posts and bring other people back in on the conversation. I enjoy the amazing tables people create and the feedback I've gotten on our egg's home. One week in and enjoying it immensely!
  • Solson005
    Options
    Someone asked for the recipe for the cobbler so I'll just post it. 

The book for the cobbler.

Texas Treasury of Dutch Oven Cooking

Addy's Peach Cobbler
    10 inch Dutch oven - Yelds 8 Servings

Fruit Filling:
    8 Cups sliced peaches, fresh or frozen
    2 Tbsp flour
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 cup sugar

Crust:
    1 cup flour
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt 
    3 Tbsp butter or margarine
    6 Tbsp milk or half and half 
    flour for cutting board 1 Tbsp cinnamon
    1 Tbsp sugar

Mix the peaches with 2 Tbsp flour and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the sugar a little at a time until the fruit is sweet enough for your taste. Spoon the fruit mixture into a greased Dutch oven. 

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Cut the butter into small chunks and add to flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter to blend flour mixture into pea-sized lumps. Add milk. Stir with a fork until all ingredients are moistened. 

Roll dough out aon a flour covered table to 1/4 inch thick. Cut Crust into shapes and place on top of the fruit mixture. Mix cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the crust. 

Bake with 1 ring of coals underneath and 2 rings of coal on lid for 30-35 minutes, 

Enjoy!