Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best meat/butcher shop around Atlanta or North Georgia?

Options
Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Normally, I buy my meat at Publix or Costco, but I'm having problems finding any prime steaks or whole briskets. I live in Athens, but I'm willing to drive to Atlanta to find a really, really good butcher shop. The guys at Publix are awesome, but they are limited by their regional buyer's discretion. For example, I can get a whole packer brisket from them, but they say it takes around three weeks to get in. I'd also like to find some natural casings for sausage making, but that's very hard to find, too. Anyone from around here have suggestions?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

There is Costco at Ft. Oglethorpe. They always have prime beef. I have 3 ribeyes sitting in the fridge right now, for maybe tonight.

And that is good beef. Way better than Publix.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• ugabulldog56
    Options
    Bentleys in Winder.  USDA top shelf choice meat for sale daily.  They will order prime or Waygu if thats what your looking for.  All organic there too.
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks! I went by Bentley's in Winder today. While a fairly small shop, it was clean, and all of the beef is Creekstone Farms Black Angus. I've heard of them, but never tried it. I'm cooking a cowboy ribeye tonight to give it a shot. Prices are reasonable, staff was very nice and helpful, and seems like a very good, local family owned business. I like it, so thank you for the recommendation! Most important, unlike local grocery stores, they have whole bone-in Boston Butts over 10 lbs, which is hard to find at Publix. They also have whole packer briskets...also Creekstone Farms for $3.99/lb. So, black angus brisket that's cheaper than Publix, is the whole brisket, and is angus, so higher quality than std grocery store meat. I honk I've found a winner! Heading back on Thursday to get my Boston butt for this weekend's tailgate.
    Athens, GA
  • ugabulldog56
    ugabulldog56 Posts: 26
    edited September 2012
    Options
    imageI bought two of their butts last weekend(total of 19lbs) cooked them together on my large egg.  Best ive ever had!!  The staff there makes it worth the trip everytime!!  I always get some good laughing in everytime i go!

• Mayberry
    Options
    The guy behind the counter kept calling me "Doc"...lol. The meat all looked great in the meat case. Can't wait to taste this steak tonight.
    Athens, GA
  • ugabulldog56
    Options
    That guys a trip.  He remembers me every time i go in there and calls me boss.  ill bet you he remembers you too and calls you doc again!!  lol
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Well, the steak tonight was top notch. I'll definitely be going back. Cowboy cut bone in CAB Ribeye. Very good steak! Thanks for the recommendation!
    Athens, GA
  • wftyler
    wftyler Posts: 9
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Patton's Meat Market on Peachtree Industrial Blvd in Berkeley Lake.  Great meats, excellent service.

Don't hold it against them that they're retailers of the Kamado Joe.  :o
  • lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Options
    +1 for Pattons.
  • cspearce2
    Options
    Anyone know any place south of Atlanta? Peachtree City /Newnan way?
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • Mayberry
    Options
    I'll give Patton's a shot the next time I'm down that way, too. Looks like a good place. Thanks!
    Athens, GA