Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building Egg Stand One question

aaron
aaron Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in EGG Table Forum

I'm building a outdoor table by putting in a cement slab, then building it up with cinder blocks and covering with stone veneer.  On side will be a work space and the other side is where the egg will sit.  I'm not planning on having a back or the other side to the Egg.. 

It will basically sit open (Similar to the link below).  This will sit to the side of my deck without any wall behind. Should I be concerned about wind being strong enough to knock a large egg over. (I just don't like the egg sitting in a hole in a counter top).  Advice?

http://pinterest.com/pin/170010954653672853/

Comments

• you will be fine if your base is level. The egg is heavy and will not blow over easy
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • I wouldn't worry so much about the wind. But, keep in mind that it is an egg shaped grill and very top-heavy. Personally, there's no way I would set my Egg anywhere without at least a ring just below the opening. If you are building the table on your own, I'd suggest putting a post up on the corner and running a band around where the egg will sit. You could do that with simple 2x4's, and could coat that with the stone veneer, too. Or, possibly even cover it in small tiles. Completely up to you, and it may be fine, but I'd personally rather be safe than sorry. Anyone can bump into Your egg at any time. Mine is held in a table and if it's bumped into, all that can happen is that someone gets slightly burned. Not trying to be a jerk, just my opinion. Hope this helps.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • I have my MBGE on a table nest, sitting on a tile platform, open all around. I don't worry about the wind, but do have some minor worry about someone knocking it over, I limit access as much as possible. It is very stable. Like you, I did not want to use a table with a hole in it, although very practical, just not what I like. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Wind - not unless you have hurricane force.  But I agree with the earlier sentiments about protecting it from accidental knocks.  Kids, dogs, drunk people, etc. can knock it over.  The nest or some kind of restraints would be good insurance against aberrant outdoor behavior.
  • Thanks. I bought a this LG green egg used a year and a half ago for $300. I love it but had my mind set on a XL.  Yet I couldn't turn it down for the price.  Holding off on the ring or other items allows for replacement one day with an XL.

If it happens to get knocked over by someone it will just justify the need to buy the XL.

Aaron

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    What if I come over and pretend to knock it over into my truck for $300? Then you can get your xL.. 

Joking aside, I think it would be fine but have you asked @mtcecil he posted it in December 2011 so I'm sure its been through a few storms.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  •  aberrant outdoor behavior. 

NOLA that's funny!  I never heard of drunk people stumbling into stuff as aberrant outdoor behavior!

:))
    Flint, Michigan