Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE Eggers, I need your knowledge

Options
2»

Comments

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    +1 on the High-Que being a must on the small.  I have a small with a plate setter, high-que, stock grate, and another 13" grate that I have installed 2" stands on to use for raised direct or a second indirect grate.  I also have a 12" pizza stone.  The small is great.  Fast to get to temp, can cook everything a large can (just smaller amounts), and uses WAY less lump.

When my 22" Webber bites the dust I will look into a large or XL as a replacement for larger cooking needs, but I use my SBGE way more than my Webber at this time.  Perfect for a family of 4 or less for cooking main dishes.
    I love my XL and use the crap out of it. Looking forward to learning on the small and also teaching my son on the small to make him a EggHead at an early age :)
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Options
    Sgt93 said:
    MikeG said:
    Sgt93 said:
    OK, so far I ordered the Woo, stone and stainless drip pan from Tom. 

I have those + a High-Que grate for mine as well.  I've also finagled a small 10x10" wire grid to use over the foil-wrapped pan in the bottom to do an indirect,  double decker cook on chicken drumsticks.  I can get about 14 in it this way. 

There's no room for the stone - just make sure to get a bit of air between the foil and the stainless pan so the drippings don't burn and give your food an off taste.  

Interesting, can you take a pic of the setup when time permits? I would appreciate it.

Notes:

-- Original grate is used as an air spacer before wrapping the SS pan with foil.

-- Small square wire grid has a couple of wires snipped at the corners so it will fit down into the egg

-- Note the OEM grid is placed atop the Woo handles to give enough space.   Even so, the grate will slightly rest atop really chunky drumsticks. 

This system works very well but you really need the space under the foil as the SS pan is quite close to the coals.

• Sgt93
    Options
    MikeG said:
    Sgt93 said:
    MikeG said:
    Sgt93 said:
    OK, so far I ordered the Woo, stone and stainless drip pan from Tom. 

I have those + a High-Que grate for mine as well.  I've also finagled a small 10x10" wire grid to use over the foil-wrapped pan in the bottom to do an indirect,  double decker cook on chicken drumsticks.  I can get about 14 in it this way. 

There's no room for the stone - just make sure to get a bit of air between the foil and the stainless pan so the drippings don't burn and give your food an off taste.  

Interesting, can you take a pic of the setup when time permits? I would appreciate it.

Notes:

-- Original grate is used as an air spacer before wrapping the SS pan with foil.

-- Small square wire grid has a couple of wires snipped at the corners so it will fit down into the egg

-- Note the OEM grid is placed atop the Woo handles to give enough space.   Even so, the grate will slightly rest atop really chunky drumsticks. 

This system works very well but you really need the space under the foil as the SS pan is quite close to the coals.

Very cool. Thanks for taking the time to post those. I appreciate it. :)
  • Sgt93
    Options
    Ok, I have everything from CGS etc for the small. Now I just need to get my small :)