Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Paella....Will be doing this again!

tortaboy
tortaboy Posts: 29
edited July 2012 in Soups, Stews, Chilis

First time posting.  Sorry for the big pics.  Still figuring this out.

Done on my XL BGE with an 18" Paella pan.  Barely fit!

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Welcome aboard brother!  Nice looking paella!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Nice job-the recipe on TNW's site is a sure-fire way to paella success, but it is labor intensive.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tortaboy
    But soooooooo.....worth it :)
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195

If I ever make something that good looking how would I post a picture of it. Is there some site I can go to that will walk you through it. Thanks

• tortaboy

Thanks Ellis.

Go to www.Photobucket.com

Free online storage.

You simply register, then hit the upload button and upload the pictures on their site.

When you post a picture, just go to "Insert Image" (The square thing on the toolbar above).

It will say, enter URL http://

You get the URL underneath each pic on photobucket.

Hope this helps.

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Thanks tortaboy, now I have make something worth a picture.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Nice job!  As far as pics go, i have been lazy and not posted any myself, though i did take some of the ribs from the weekend, but just haven't had the time to download and upload.....

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    @Ellis

even faster step is to download the photobucket app for your android/iphone and upload right from your phone rather than to the computer then to photobucket.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Wow!! That is one nice looking paella. I really need to dig out my paella pan and get on it. Thanks for the reminder.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    @ Griffin-when you find your pan and make paella, I would be very interested in your recipe.  I have had great success with TNW's (chicken version-seafood is not on SWMBO menu) but looking to expand my horizons.  And I know it will be great-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Ummm.....I've never made paella before. My parents brought me a pan back from Italy this year (and some saffron), but I just haven't gotten around to it. I even went out and bought rice. Moving up on the to-do list whenever Mrs. G gets home and stays for a few days. This new traveling for work thing she is doing is really slowing down my crossing stuff off the list.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    It will just be that much better...and I hope it makes it way to the top soon:)
  • That looks yummy. Paella is one of the dishes I really want to prepare on the EGG. Any ideas for a good pan for the large egg?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Looks like you got a good socarrat (crusty bottom on the rice) (hope I spelled that right); congrats!  I'd love to try a paella, but its not a good dish to do when you live alone.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lousubcap
    Botch said:
    Looks like you got a good socarrat (crusty bottom on the rice) (hope I spelled that right); congrats!  I'd love to try a paella, but its not a good dish to do when you live alone.  
    I can appreciate the sentiments but regardless of the labor-intensive issues it  is well-worth the effort. Easily a scalable dish-give it a shot-you will do it again. 
  • lousubcap
    bjansen said:
    That looks yummy. Paella is one of the dishes I really want to prepare on the EGG. Any ideas for a good pan for the large egg?

Here's a great link for paella- http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm (His site is an excelent primer for all things ceramic).  Scroll to the bottom of the link and you will see another link to "paella pans".  Follow it as they have quite a selection-I have an enameled steel pan (received as a gift).  Measure the inside diameter of your LBGE and get the largest one that will fit.  Then enjoy!
  • Nothing like a little thread Hijack.   For a minute, I thought lousubcap made my paella.
  • Little off topic but where did you get those pasta bowls? I had the perfect ones not too big or too small and very pretty. I bought four and my children have broken them for me over the years. I only have one left.

I will be trying some charleston red rice on the grill tonight. I will post pics when done.

• My wife said they came from pottery barn.  They were a gift from MIL years ago.