Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hm?

WickedIsland
WickedIsland Posts: 153
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
My first overnighter may not take all night. I put a 9 lb butt on at 6pm and it is now at 171 only 6 hours later. I thought I passed any chance of a stall when I passed 150 or so but I am about as much of a BBQ rookie as can be. Tried to keep the temp at 250 (dome) but had a downpour and the temp dropped. I bumped it up and it has been at 270 or 280 for a bit (maybe that is why). I am sure many will say every cook is different. I was just surprised since my first butt was less than three lbs and took 7 hours. My probe won't take a setting over 170 so I have to watch it myself now (it will take a reading but won't take a programmed temp in order to set the alarm off, must get a new one). I'm tired and want to sleep but nervous it will get to 195 in no time. O, Boy does it smell good and fun to see the smoke through the rain

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Make sure your probe is not too close to the bone or too shallow into the meat.  Take it out and reinsert it into the middle of the meat.  Stall is usually at 150 to 170, so you may just be entering a late stall.  No matter what, pulled pork is as good for breakfast as it is for dinner.  If it does hit 200 early, you can FTC for at least 4 hours to keep it hot before pulling and serving. 
  • Thanks, no bone on this one so I did check with the Thermapen and it is at 171 in the thickest part. Good advice as I did not realize a stall could happen now. Thanks again, it will be kind of fun to pull that sucker apart and have a fresh sammie all by myself at 2am
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Have you calibrated your dome temp?  Mine has been off by as much as 40 degrees.  I usually calibrate it (boil some water and stick the probe in.  If it doesn't read 212, adjust by turning the nut on the back of the probe)  before a long cook.  
  • It's 4am and I am eating a pulled pork sandwich as a result of my unintentional "turbo" butt. 9 lbs, 9 and one half hours. I couldn't just pull it apart and go to bed, had to have some... it was a long night (temp time confusion, wind, rain and raccoons = no sleep). Yes, I will do it again but not without calibrating my dome thermometer first (not sure if that was it, will test tomorrow) Night all
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    nothing wrong with that.  mistakes can still result in good food
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited September 2012
    I've been cookin' those Costco boneless butts (two pack) at 280F dome lately and getting them done to 200F internal temp in 7 hrs, time-on-the-grid to time-off-the-grid. This allows putting them on at six a.m. and having them ready at 1 p.m. Now you can foil and put in cooler and pull anytime in afternoon/evening. This avoids the 'overnighter' thing and having it ready too early in the a.m. Another hour is needed to prep the Egg and get the lump ready to light the night before. The results have been, well, spectacular to quote family and friends!