Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need reassurance on butt cook and dropping temp

Options
Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have 4 five pound butts on my large. Been on since 9 am eastern time. Grid temp held steady at about 280 until about an hour ago. Now it is down to 253-255. Internal temp of one ( what I think is the largest) is 160. So, I think I am in the plateau but am concerned about the dropping grid temp. I filled the box up with WGWW so I am fairly confident that I don't have a problem there. Does the grid temp drop during the plateau? The weather did change a bit since I started - now a little windy and raining - but I cannot imaging that would affect this. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    That is not good, the meat is most likely ruined. I would throw it out and never try to do that again.  You just aren't meant to make pulled pork, we all can't be perfect.  Be well.  
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Or...you are fine, stop worrying so much and have a drink.  I would temp check the smallest though, will most likely cook the fastest.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    If you are running w/o controller, you can see changes in temp based on the fuel and air-flow mix.  Those are the two things that will impact-your fire may have migrated to quite a different fuel concentration or there has been something changing the air flow-or a combination of both.  If you want to, dial up the temp adjust your vents.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    How did it turn out Phil?
    Options
    Turned out great. I opened the bottom vent another quarter inch and used my wiggle rod a bit and the temp rose as needed. I learned quite a bit trying to cook four pieces at one. Each piece has its own personality that is for sure.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Sounds great.  Looks like you weathered the storm.