Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Smoked Salmon 9-8-12

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hot smoked salmon.  All pictures are, clockwise from top, Traeger Sweet Rub, Traeger Souvlaki Rub, and Montreal Rub.

Light coat of EVOO and heavy heaping of rub.  Put on a cookie cooling grid over a drip pan, in the refrigerator uncovered for 24 hours.

Remove for 15-20 minutes before starting smoke.  Squeegee as much rub off the filets as you can with your finger.  Add a very light dusting of the Sweet and Souvlaki rubs back on.  Leave the Montreal alone; it is strong.  The filets will look a little dry and firm.

PS legs up, drip pan with water for humidity, and grid.  I used Oak smoke (because it was all I had), but usually use a fruit wood.

Smoke at 150-200 until internal is 130.  Time seems to be very variable.  Check it at one hour.

Cool, and serve on crackers with cream cheese, onions or cucumbers.

Pics to follow.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Pics

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Oops

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Oops

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Pic problems tonight.  Keep getting interrupted.

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    Looks great Doc. Never would have thought that much rub would turn our so good. What did you cook it on
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Just put it on a perforated grid, so it was easy to take off.  Works fine on the Egg's grid.  You don't leave that rub on, you squeegee or rinse it off before smoking.  The rub flavors the fish, but you don't want to leave it heaped on like that.  If you left it on it would make a very strong sort of crust.

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    Does this come out like lox, or is it more firm?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Hot smoke is not like lox, for that you need  cold smoke.  It is fully cooked but softer than grilled salmon.

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    What temp is cold smoke at? Is it like cheese smoking with just a few lump pieces and some wood? 150 would be hard for me to hold I think. Could probably do 200. Good results holding at 200 you think?
  • AleBrewer
    Options
    Cold smoking is usually between 80-100°.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I am not the person to ask, because I am waiting for cooler temps in Florida to try it.  My understanding is ambient temperature....no cooking at all only flavor added by the smoke.  The rig I have is a tray for wood pellets.  No heat to the smoke at all.  You need to cure the meat so it does not spoil.  Hey you experts, don't let me say something stupid here tell us what to do.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

I am not the person to ask, because I am waiting for cooler temps in Florida to try it.  My understanding is ambient temperature....no cooking at all only flavor added by the smoke.  The rig I have is a tray for wood pellets.  No heat to the smoke at all.  You need to cure the meat so it does not spoil.  Hey you experts, don't let me say something stupid here tell us what to do.
    You got it right, doc.  For fish, like cold smoked salmon, you want to smoke below 80F.   If you go past 90-95F, you start changing the texture of the fish.  But cold smoking pastrami, beef jerky and the like, you can go higher.  And you're right, the meat should be cured because it's the ideal conditions for certain unwanted bacteriological growth.

Made a base for my cold smoker this weekend.  Almost there.  The hurricane pushed back a few projects.
    Options
    Looks awesome, Doc. Thanks for sharing that. I'd like to give it a try.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings