Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt 2nd try

EggHead in Smyrna
edited September 2012 in Pork

Doing a 5 1/2 pound butt on the egg tomorrow in time for friends over for the Packer/49er game.

What is ideal temp/time/etc?

One thing I don't find on the forum is what should the internal temp on pork be as well?

I plan on using platesetter legs up with a drip pan and sitting my butt in a V rack.

I am soaking some hickory chips and have a few stout beers that I plan on putting into the drip pan.  (Not sure if this will do much at all)

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• From what I have read it looks to me that 195 may be ideal. I did my first last weekend and pulled it at 195 and thought it came out pretty good. Not much experience on my side but just my 2 cents. Just put my second try on 20 minutes ago. It will be my first overnighter and wouldn't you know it... we have a storm blowing off the coast and tornado watches in the other direction. I have faith in the egg. Good luck with your butt. I know your friends will enjoy it.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I like a 250 dome temp.  Cook until internal temp hits 200, let it rest before pulling.  If you are done early, wrap in foil, place in a cooler stuffed with towels and it'll keep for hours.  How long will it take to cook?  You can figure 1 1/2 to 2 hours a pound (that's about a 3 hour window with one your size so put it on early enough).  Better to be done early and have it resting in a cooler than to have everyone waiting to eat.  The real answer to "how long will it take?" is "Until it's done".  No need to soak your chips, and make sure you raise the drip pan off the platesetter.  You can use the little green feet if you have them, little balls of foil, pennies, etc.  If you don't eventually the drippings will evaporate and burn.
    Cullum Posts: 215
    I've done several butts the turbo way and won't go back. I cooked them at 350 degrees grate temp till internal reached 160, took off, double wrapped in hd foil then finished at 350 till internal reached 195. Pulled at 195, doubled wrapped in fresh foil (because of the juice in the foil), wrapped in towel and put in cooler for several hours. I have had people say it was the best meat they ever tasted. It took about 4 hours to cook a 7 lb. butt. You won't get the bark with this method like you would on a low and slow, but the meat will turn out incredible and done in only a few hours. 
  • Internal temp 190-195F