Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Grown man cryin!

ArlingtonGrillArlingtonGrill Posts: 63
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone know of some good high temp glue?

·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,935
    Permatex Ulta Copper from your auto parts or hardware store is a proven performer.

·
  • Here's the picture that didn't come through on my original message.  My top band was too loose.  Thanks to many on the forum site, I was able to find a new dome in two days!  All is well.image
    ·
  • So glad you had a happier ending!

1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
    ·
  • saw your picture and my heart sunk for you. How terrible. Glad you found a replacement. Going to check all my bolts. All the Best
    ·
    Oh, I didn't see the picture when I posted a gasket adhesive.   What sadness!

·
    ....that explains the "cryin'" in your thread title...

·
  • Least you have a spare dome thermometer now....
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
    ·
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,128
    I'm crying for you.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
  • Sorry to see that.
    Highly recommend double bolting the bands.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,277
    When I bought my new Large home spring of last year the new dealer had assembled it.  My neighbor assisted me in lifting it out of the truck, and fortunately the egg hadn't cleared the tailgate yet when the band let go; dodged a bullet there.
    Glad you were able to find a replacement!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • goose bumps.  Everyone will be outside tonight checking their bands ( me included)

Glad it turned out ok!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

·
  • EggdamEggdam Posts: 218
    Wow I feel for ya.  I damn near choked on my beer!
    ·
  • Put a locking bolt against the original one. Problem solved.
    ·
  • Hate seeing these kinds of pics. I have a busted up xl at the bottom of the hill behind the house...not pretty

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • O, No! Sorry about that
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003
    Sorry for your loss.  I just went out and tightened everything on both eggs!!!! 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • Hate seeing that.  Glad you found a replacement in a few days.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • ccpoulin1 said:

goose bumps.  Everyone will be outside tonight checking their bands ( me included)

Glad it turned out ok!

LOL, checked mine while cooking tonight....after reading the OP.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • Man my heart sunk!! I will tighten bolts tomorrow before I go to church.
    ·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,169
    Titles like this always make me cringe. Glad to see you are back in business though.
    ·
  • Did you find a replacement or get it replaced via warranty?  Is something like that covered by warranty?

·
  • Always burp it and if it doesn't feel right, check the bolts. Glad you were able to get a replacement.

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    wow just horrible. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,284
    Whoa, wait, what do we torque bands to? And what's this extra (locking) bolt installation? How about a pic? Haven't had a enough coffee yet this morning to 'get it'. .....
    ·
  • ccpoulin1 said:

goose bumps.  Everyone will be outside tonight checking their bands ( me included)

Glad it turned out ok!

+1

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

·
  • Not sure if a locking nut will help unless the nut is backing off.  If the band is stretching because of the heat cycles or the bolt is stretching because of the tension or fatigue, a lock nut will not fix the problem.  I will continue to check mine regularly.  I have an old wrench that I left in my BBQ locker by the Egg for just such uses.  Might also check to see if the threads on the bolt are starting to pull apart (stretch) just to be sure.  better to be safe than sorry.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
  • chrisnjennchrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited September 2012
    Over 2 years with a locking nut on my large and small Egg and it is as tight as can be without me tightening it in over 2 years. So it does work on mine. Guess I'm just lucky.
    ·
  • 3 years with a locking nut and it is as tight as can be without me tightening it in 3 years. So it does work on mine. Guess I'm just lucky.
    I was just speculating....  If it works, good deal, I will add one also.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
  • I tend to agree, I THINK the bands stretch with the thermal cycling.  But really don't know...

I definitely agree with Bettysnehphew and  also keep an old 1/2" wrench near the egg handy.

I've read to not torque them when the egg is hot.

RicklesssS in Oregon

·
  • I found a local dealer who had a replacement and it cost $180 with tax. I didn't apply the warranty with BGE because it really was my fault. However, they were helpful on the phone in helping me locate a nearby dealer. Going to put a beer can chicken on now, right after I check the bolts!
    ·