Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

8.5 pound butts been in for 15 hours at 240 (now up to 275).....only at 171/181

bcrawfo2bcrawfo2 Posts: 85
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been in for 15 hours and only at 171/181 (two butts).  
I'm worried if I go too much longer.   I'm gonna foil and let them finish at 300.  
Any better votes?

I usually cook at 240 so it gets me later in the afternoon when they're done...but we're running a little long here.
·

Comments

• And....I'm stoker controlled....so it's not that my therm is mis-calibrated
    ·
  • I've got 3 bone in picnics on right now. They have been on for 19 hours at 250. Temp is at 190. I plan on pulling them at 195. Dome Thermo. was calibrated and I'm not worried. As they say, they'll be done when they are done. No stoker control here. Dome thermometer has not fluctuated more than 10 degrees in 19 hours. There was a neighborhood yard sale today and everybody kept walking by saying how good it smelled.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Do you have anywhere to be?  If not, let it cook
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,412
    If your dome temp was 240F, tho' a bit long, the cook is not outside the range of normal. Even if the grill temp was 240, still not so unusual.

I think you will lose a fair amount of time and temperature foiling. I'd just raise the dome to 290.
    ·
  • We're taking them to a 4pm party (3 hours).   I foiled and left 'em at 275.
    ·
  • I've got 3 bone in picnics on right now. They have been on for 19 hours at 250. Temp is at 190. I plan on pulling them at 195. Dome Thermo. was calibrated and I'm not worried. As they say, they'll be done when they are done. No stoker control here. Dome thermometer has not fluctuated more than 10 degrees in 19 hours. There was a neighborhood yard sale today and everybody kept walking by saying how good it smelled.
    I pull at 200...even a little higher...think I remember 202 was my magic number before. 
    ·
  • Thanks for the input. I'll let em ride until 200. My motto today is, "What the hell, let it ride!" I just can't wait to dig in. Holy crap do they smell awesome!
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·