Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Noob Checking In

Cozmo
Cozmo Posts: 20
edited September 2012 in Off Topic
New guy here. Just wanted to say hi. My wife and I just got a large egg a week and a half ago. We are waiting for the arms, cover, and plate setter to come in. We bought a small kitchen island with a stainless steel top. I've cooked several meals so far with only one blister! My wife joined here as well. We are looking forward to having fun and cooking some great meals.

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Awesome. Welcome aboard.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Sounds awesome! You should find all sorts of great help and ideas here.
  • First post on forum from wife of Cozmo:
    Dinner tonight (some from the BGE cookbook): chili-spiced pork tenderloin with caramelized blackberry sauce, roasted corn with blue cheese & ancho chile, summer salad greens with Dijon caper dressing, and peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream. Also, skinny margaritas. And cooler, less humid weather for cooking outdoors!
  • Hello from Florida and Welcome to the addiction.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Welcome to the mad house. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Welcome aboard. Sounds like you are off to a great start.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Cozmo
    edited September 2012
    Thanks everyone. Here's a picture of our new egg with the island on our covered patio. The sliding glass door in the background goes into our master bedroom and is normally not used. 
    Egg.jpg 251.1K

• bjansen said:
    First post on forum from wife of Cozmo:
    Dinner tonight (some from the BGE cookbook): chili-spiced pork tenderloin with caramelized blackberry sauce, roasted corn with blue cheese & ancho chile, summer salad greens with Dijon caper dressing, and peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream. Also, skinny margaritas. And cooler, less humid weather for cooking outdoors!
    Welcome Bjansen and Cozmo,
    With cooks like that, you can move to the head of the class real soon !  You get a pass this time, but next time, No pictures?  Didn't happen.  
    =D>

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Welcome that's a dream set up egg outside the master bedroom door'
    Lynnwood WA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Welcome to both of you.  Great first cook.  Agree with @double, great set up outside the bedroom.  That will come in handy for your first overnight cook.  
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to our egg world, now yours. Happy egging, and remember -No pictures, the cook didn't happen. ( not to repeatative ;-) )
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Sounds like you're off to a great start!  Welcome to the cult.  Go easy on the Kool-Aid.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Cozmo
    I'll take

bjansen said:
    First post on forum from wife of Cozmo:
    Welcome Bjansen and Cozmo,
    With cooks like that, you can move to the head of the class real soon !  You get a pass this time, but next time, No pictures?  Didn't happen.  
    =D>
    I took a picture for you. It's a bit out of focus as I used my phone to take it after drinking a couple of margaritas.

• Cozmo
    Thanks everyone. I look forward to learning how to use this beast. Can't wait to do a long smoke on a brisket or pork shoulder.
  • Cozmo
    Welcome to our egg world, now yours. Happy egging, and remember -No pictures, the cook didn't happen. ( not to repeatative ;-) )
    Hey,
    I forgot to mention where we live. We live in SW Austin Texas!
  • Cozmo said:
     I used my phone to take it after drinking a couple of margaritas.

You just passed the final test.  I am voting a straight "Cozmo" ticket on the next election for Grand Panjamo of the Egghead Forum.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Cozmo said:

Hey,
    I forgot to mention where we live. We live in SW Austin Texas!

You are in good company. I know of several of us in Lakeway, a few in bee cave, another in falcon head and we can't forget Austin Egghead out in Circle C. We are well represented out here in west austin.
  • You are in good company. I know of several of us in Lakeway, a few in bee cave, another in falcon head and we can't forget Austin Egghead out in Circle C. We are well represented out here in west austin.
    HEY !  I'm in the Southeast Austin subdivision called Houston !!!!!!  [-X

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Cozmo said:

You are in good company. I know of several of us in Lakeway, a few in bee cave, another in falcon head and we can't forget Austin Egghead out in Circle C. We are well represented out here in west austin.

HEY !  I'm in the Southeast Austin subdivision called Houston !!!!!!  [-X

A couple more years and you won't be too far off.

• I'm in the North part of Austin, Harker Heights (Ft Hood)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Welcome aboard from north of the 49th.
    great parking spot for your shiny new LBGE, you can easily watch for egg rustlers while you are pretending to be asleep...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Thanks for the very warm and hilarious welcome! Our first cook with company turned out great, even if Cozmo was enjoying the margaritas (or maybe because of that)! Well, I was drinking Maker's Mark and still managed to get dinner on the table.

By the way, if you are using the BGE cookbook, I'd amend the chili spiced tenderloin with caramelized blackberry sauce recipe. First. you can't just pour room temp vinegar in the caramelized sugar--it spattered and immediately turned the sugar into a huge hard candy ball. I had to start over and heated the vinegar and chicken stock to boiling and poured a little bit at a time into the caramelized sugar, whisking all the while. And, I'd reduce the amount of liquid, as we all thought, that while it tasted yummy, the sauce was a little thin. But Cozmo and the EGG cooked the tenderloin perfectly and it tasted tender even warmed over today.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Welcome aboard from the far, far north part of Austin (Dallas). Always great to have more Texans on board. Whatever you do, stay away from the kool-aid.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Welcome aboard and by default if you are posting here then you have been drinking the Kool-Aid-mixture and quantity to be determined :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bjansen and Cozmo, welcome aboard. I have also done the same recipe although used cherry preserves instead of the blackberry. I had the same issue with the caramel mixture turning hard but as it heats up,it melts back down. And also agree that it is a little thin. Good recipe though and one of these days I will post the pics from my cook.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Yep... wanna see pics!

Bjansen and Cozmo, welcome aboard. I have also done the same recipe although used cherry preserves instead of the blackberry. I had the same issue with the caramel mixture turning hard but as it heats up,it melts back down. And also agree that it is a little thin. Good recipe though and one of these days I will post the pics from my cook.

• Welcome from another newbie! I like your table. Also your city. :)