Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger

racer944
racer944 Posts: 5
edited September 2012 in Off Topic
Picked up a new large egg Saturday to assist in making some brats at the new house here in Helena, AL.  I've been in love with the eggs for 2 years, finally got one of my own!  Having a hard time learning how to control it, but that's all part of the fun, right?

Today's relevant post: Started two bone-in boston butts (13#s total) at about 10 am this morning.  Temperature is sitting steady at 320/330.  Using them to test out two different homemade rub recipes, will post up results tonight when they're done.  Even managed to remember to put a drip pan on aluminum foil balls on top of the plate setter!

Comments

• Practice, practice, practice.  Your assignment is to cook dinner on the Egg nightly for the next 3 months.  There will be a final exam.

Welcome.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Welcome to the club !  My advice might be a little different than the rest.  I recommend that you keep it all in perspective.  

The BGE excels in many areas, including grilling, woking, some indirect baking and roasting, etc.  But, there are times when it is better to use the stove or oven, as in the case of broiling or closed lid cooking.

Your objective should be to produce the best meal you can create, and the BGE is a valuable, but just one tool you can use.

As one sage used to have in his signature ...."Relax, it's just a grill".

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Welcome to the club !  My advice might be a little different than the rest.  I recommend that you keep it all in perspective.  

The BGE excels in many areas, including grilling, woking, some indirect baking and roasting, etc.  But, there are times when it is better to use the stove or oven, as in the case of broiling or closed lid cooking.

Your objective should be to produce the best meal you can create, and the BGE is a valuable, but just one tool you can use.

Good advice Gary. So true.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Hey, VI, doing tacos inside tonight :-)  I was sincere though; experience is the thing.  I enjoy the occasional just-because-I-can cook, but mainly we use the Eggs for basic meat and veggie cooks.  You are dead on, when it becomes work it is not fun.  Cook what you enjoy, and enjoy what you cook.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Sometimes even I cook inside.

• Muy bien.  Good looking tacos, Doc.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Thanks for the advice! I'm still having a hard time controlling the temp, but managed to keep it at 320-330 for 7 hours.  Pork came out just right, with a good smoke ring and internal temp of 190.  After letting it rest, it pulled perfectly and was an all around success.

My super-duper secret rub recipe had too much salt, and my extra super duper ingredient that i was doing a comparison test on didn't perform as expect :-\. Oh well, off the drawing board again!

In the mean time, I've been doing brats, cedar planked salmon, and veggies on this thing and am beginning to learn how to control the temp.  Now, if I can just figure out an easier way to start the thing, I'd be set! Picked up a cheapo electric starter that broke after the first try, and I'm not very impressed with the weber starter cubes that I picked up.  Guess it's time to make the plunge for a BGE starter and starter cubes, huh?
  • Cozmo
    Cozmo Posts: 20
    Congrats on the new egg! I too am a noob.
  • Don't know if you've tried it, but brats at around 225-250, indirect, for about an hour (8 to 10 brats total weight about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds) on my medium.
    No splits, perfect browning. Picked up this tip off the forum some time ago. Another good piece of info!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fairly new also. The BGE firestarter cubes work first time every time for me. One member here uses oil soaked paper towels.

On the pork butts, I too cooked to just over 190 and it was perfection itself. Shredded perfectly. But everybody else here says 200. Guess we are the young turks....so to speak.
    LBGE
  • Those are definitely great ideas, thanks for the information!