Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My stainless Egg table

Options
Jwillis
Jwillis Posts: 7
edited September 2012 in EGG Table Forum

I bought a stainless table with wheels at Sam's Club $115.00 Then shortened the legs and cut a hole in the top to nest the Egg. Took about 2 hours to modify.It was very easy to do.

Comments

• Jwillis
    Options
    The shelf is pretty strong no problems so far.I have a large egg
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I have Metro brand shelves like that with two plastic retainers on each corner. I recall that the shelves are rated for 75 pounds but could hold more.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Pretty cool. How did you cut the hole and what did you use to protect the edges
  • jchrzanowski
    Options
    Nice job. I have done exaclty same thing. How did you finish sharp edge after cutting out the circle?
  • Jwillis
    Options
    The shelf is pretty strong no problems so far.I have a large egg
  • Cozmo
    Cozmo Posts: 20
    Options
  • Jwillis
    Options
    I cut the hole with a jig saw with a fine tooth metal cutting blade then I smoothed the cut with a file.I went to an auto parts store and bought car door egde gaurds.( takes two sets). I got the chrome so it matches the stainless. There is a brace on the end and one in the middle. if you start your cut 31/2'' from the end you can avoid the end brace . the other brace is  held in place with tiny tack welds. I cut the tacks with a hack saw and slid the brace over out of the hole. It fits tight so I did not tack it back. I have done two of these and I recommend you put masking tape on the top to protect it. The stainless shavings from the cut got embedded in the plastic shoe of the jigsaw and scratched the surface.The tape also makes it easier to see cut line.
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    If there is concern about the plastic supports for the lower shelf not standing up to the weight of the Egg, go to a bearing supply house and obtain split collars that fit the leg diameter.  They compression clamp to the tubing with two Allen bolts and can hold considerable amounts of weight when tight.  If no bearing supplier in the area, Google McMaster Carr.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If there is concern about the plastic supports for the lower shelf not standing up to the weight of the Egg, go to a bearing supply house and obtain split collars that fit the leg diameter.  They compression clamp to the tubing with two Allen bolts and can hold considerable amounts of weight when tight.  If no bearing supplier in the area, Google McMaster Carr.
    Good idea.  Or you can drill a hole through the clamp and put in a hitch pin or bolt.
    So far it has not been a problem, but yes I would probably just put bolt through the legs.
  • Nyltiger
    Options
    I have this same table that I used to mount my Weber Kettle. I was thinking about using it for a BGE until I get a table built. Have you had any issues with the weight of the BGE or anything else?
    Johns Creek, GA Large BGE Weber Kettle Weber Genesis
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.  Will probably do likewise when Santa brings me my second egg.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014