Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

clean burn?

BigGreenBamaGriller
BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
edited September 2012 in Off Topic
I hate to have to ask, but how is a clean burn executed?

Thanks,

Chris
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• Fill it up, light it, daisy wheel off, vent wide open, let her rip!
  • Onegrecook
    Onegrecook Posts: 121
    edited September 2012
    Don't forget to add the plate setter and anything else you want cleaned.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

Load up with charcoal, open the bottom vent, take off the DFMT then light the lump and let her rip. I ruinied a thermometer doing this once so I would take it out if I were you.

You could leave the thermometer in without the clip and try to maintain somewhere in the 700* range with the bottom vent and get the same results, just let it cook until the lump is gone. Pull the thermometer if things get out of hand. At least you can save that but most likely your gasket will be toast. Everything should be nice and white when it is done.

• reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Well, you load up your BGE w/ coal, open up the vents and let her rip - some take the thermometer off the egg because they think it gets so hot that it will damage the thermometer - and, it may - I've gotten mine up to the point that the thermometer goes beyond its maximum temp - sort of like when you weigh so much that your scale goes beyond the numbers that are listed so you really don't know how much you weigh (certainly, not ever my issue) - the problem becomes several fold - if you get your temp up in the range of 1000 - 1200 you're probably going to destroy your gasket and have to replace it unless you're like some on here who don't really think that a gasket is a necessity - if you've got your plate setter legs down, at those temps, the legs might crack - so, I think the convential wisdom is to max it out at about 700 - 800 degrees and let it burn for a while - like several hours - put everything in there you want cleaned - the extreme heat will basically clean everything off - good luck
  • My gasket is about fried and I just got a new one so I'll be doing a clean burn myself for the first time.  I'll put in the platesetter and my pizza stone, too. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Gotcha, thanks for all the feedback guys.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    My gasket is about fried and I just got a new one so I'll be doing a clean burn myself for the first time.  I'll put in the platesetter and my pizza stone, too. 
    If you put the plate setter in legs down and the one of the legs is pressed against the side of the egg you may break that leg off at high temps - that happened to me - be careful