Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE Eggers, I need your knowledge

Sgt93
Sgt93 Posts: 728
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm use to the XL and Eggcessories, but am lost for the small. Should I do a plate setter (I like them) or the Ceramic Grill Store Small Woo Ring? I have zero experience with the Woo.  I also remember reading something about a better fire grate through a different company? I searched and couldn't find it. What is a perfect stone to use with the small? Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Steve

P.S. I am ordering a EggCARTen already.
XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93

Comments

• Sgt93
    Hi-Que fire grate?
  • If you're looking for small BGE eggers, Little Steven is your man.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I have the High Que fire grate for my small.  http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-Charcoal-Grate-Upgrade-Small/dp/B00639K7KU

I also have the Woo for my small.  Anything Tom makes at Ceramic Grill Store is awesome.  He also makes a great stone for the small.

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/categories/Small-%26-Mini-Big-Green-Egg%C2%AE-Set%252dUps/Small-Big-Green-Egg%C2%AE-Set%252dUps/

You will love the small.

• If you're looking for small BGE eggers, Little Steven is your man.
    Nice one Gary, very nice

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    @Sgt93 with all this confusion, I think you should just give the small away - I can be there in an hour :)
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I have a small and I have the plate setter, BGE pizza stone (it actually is for the med but fits the small) the CI cooking grate, 2 regular cooking grates, a wok & the raised grid from CGS...I use them all. Out of our 4 BGE's the small is our go to most often...It has the Rutland gasket on the dome.
  • Sgt93

I have the High Que fire grate for my small.  http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-Charcoal-Grate-Upgrade-Small/dp/B00639K7KU

I also have the Woo for my small.  Anything Tom makes at Ceramic Grill Store is awesome.  He also makes a great stone for the small.

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/categories/Small-%26-Mini-Big-Green-Egg%C2%AE-Set%252dUps/Small-Big-Green-Egg%C2%AE-Set%252dUps/

You will love the small.

Does the Hi-Que make that much of a difference over the stock fire grate? Is there an added bonus to it?
  • Sgt93
    JWBurns said:
    @Sgt93 with all this confusion, I think you should just give the small away - I can be there in an hour :)
    :)) I need to have it in my possession first! But I respectfully decline :)
  • Sgt93
    vidalia1 said:
    I have a small and I have the plate setter, BGE pizza stone (it actually is for the med but fits the small) the CI cooking grate, 2 regular cooking grates, a wok & the raised grid from CGS...I use them all. Out of our 4 BGE's the small is our go to most often...It has the Rutland gasket on the dome.
    Good info, thanks. Does the med stone fit the small the best? Can I use it with the Woo if I go that route?
  • Sgt93 said:

I have the High Que fire grate for my small.  http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-Charcoal-Grate-Upgrade-Small/dp/B00639K7KU

You will love the small.

Does the Hi-Que make that much of a difference over the stock fire grate? Is there an added bonus to it?

It makes a big difference.  It will get to temp a lot faster than the stock one.  I have one for my large and small and can't recommend them enough.  It is great for low and slow also.

A lot of small BGE owners got it.  I know many of us sent emails to High Que begging them to make it for our small BGE's.  They use to only make them for the large.

• I love my small.  I bought the plate setter and cast iron grate from BGE.  I also bought a couple of Weber steel grates (13 and 10 inch) and some 1" copper tubing  from Home Depot.  I usually use the cast iron grate, but occasionally stack 1 or 2 of the other grates on top of the CI grate with the copper tubing as spacers if I need more cooking space.

I also purchased the BGE stone but have only used it once.  I used to use my wife's pampered chef stone but she wasn't too happy with the way it looked after I used it on an indirect cook, so I thought I'd get my own.

I also bought I couple of Lodge CI pieces that I use periodically.  I found a CI fajita pan that cost about $8 that fits perfectly on the fire ring and have used that for indirect cooks and an inverted lid from a 5qt CI dutch oven fits perfectly in the plate setter as a drop pan.

I would cook with it for a while before you buy too much.  But a great thing about the small is all the non-BGE accessories that you can buy that are very inexpensive.

Jeff

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 said:

You will love the small.

It makes a big difference.  It will get to temp a lot faster than the stock one.  I have one for my large and small and can't recommend them enough.  It is great for low and slow also.

A lot of small BGE owners got it.  I know many of us sent emails to High Que begging them to make it for our small BGE's.  They use to only make them for the large.

Great info, I will order one, thanks!
  • Sgt93
    Vitaman said:

I love my small.  I bought the plate setter and cast iron grate from BGE.  I also bought a couple of Weber steel grates (13 and 10 inch) and some 1" copper tubing  from Home Depot.  I usually use the cast iron grate, but occasionally stack 1 or 2 of the other grates on top of the CI grate with the copper tubing as spacers if I need more cooking space.

I also purchased the BGE stone but have only used it once.  I used to use my wife's pampered chef stone but she wasn't too happy with the way it looked after I used it on an indirect cook, so I thought I'd get my own.

I also bought I couple of Lodge CI pieces that I use periodically.  I found a CI fajita pan that cost about $8 that fits perfectly on the fire ring and have used that for indirect cooks and an inverted lid from a 5qt CI dutch oven fits perfectly in the plate setter as a drop pan.

I would cook with it for a while before you buy too much.  But a great thing about the small is all the non-BGE accessories that you can buy that are very inexpensive.

Jeff

Great info, thanks. Fajita pan sounds great as well as the small dutch oven. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I have a platesetter and a Woo & 10" baking stone from the Ceramic Grill store. If I could buy my accessories over again I would not buy the platesetter as the Woo & stone works just as well and allows for raised direct cooking. I'm pretty happy with the Hi-Que grate but it does allow a lot small bits of lump to fall through.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Sgt93
    R2Egg2Q said:
    I have a platesetter and a Woo & 10" baking stone from the Ceramic Grill store. If I could buy my accessories over again I would not buy the platesetter as the Woo & stone works just as well and allows for raised direct cooking. I'm pretty happy with the Hi-Que grate but it does allow a lot small bits of lump to fall through.
    Thanks for the info. I think I will order the Woo and stones from Tom. I do like the plate setter on my XL, but want to try something different as well. 

I may hold off on the Hi-Que fire grate until i cook with the small a few times to see how I like it. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    R2Egg2Q said:

+1

Have the same set up minus the plate setter. Love it...comes to temp quickly and the woo is excellent.

You will love the small....done plenty on it. 10 # turkey and pork shoulder, 2 racks of ribs, spatchcock chicken. Have fun!!!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Sgt93
    cazzy said:
    +1 Have the same set up minus the plate setter. Love it...comes to temp quickly and the woo is excellent. You will love the small....done plenty on it. 10 # turkey and pork shoulder, 2 racks of ribs, spatchcock chicken. Have fun!!!
    I'm really excited. It will be nice on its own and also while using the XL. Can't wait to pick up my baby :))
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    You are going to want the hi que. it made a huge difference for me when using the small. The stock grate's holes are just too small.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty said:
    You are going to want the hi que. it made a huge difference for me when using the small. The stock grate's holes are just too small.

He will find out. Should be a requirement for a small. It makes that much difference especially from those of us who used both.
  • Sgt93
    Ok, I will order the Hi-Que as well. Thanks all. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    High que is a must. Have the plate setter and woo and cast iron grate as well. The woo is also a must in my opinion the diameter is much smaller so when there are 6 burgers on it its hard to flip them below the felt line. Get the high que, woo, and anything you can sit on the lower part of the woo to make it indirect. You don't have to get a stone if you aren't going to make pizzas on the small just go to WalMart and get one of the metal pizza trays like 11" for $5.
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    I'm You're huckleberry.
  • Sgt93
    edited September 2012
    Mike8it said:
    I'm You're huckleberry.

=))
  • Sgt93
    Lit said:
    High que is a must. Have the plate setter and woo and cast iron grate as well. The woo is also a must in my opinion the diameter is much smaller so when there are 6 burgers on it its hard to flip them below the felt line. Get the high que, woo, and anything you can sit on the lower part of the woo to make it indirect. You don't have to get a stone if you aren't going to make pizzas on the small just go to WalMart and get one of the metal pizza trays like 11" for $5.
    Good post. I plan on teaching my son on the Small so Pizzas will be made. He can cook next to daddy. :)
  • Sgt, I have a small, a woo and a plate setter.  99% of the time I use the Woo , if I want indirect I place a small foil wrapped pizza stone on woo's bottom rack.  

My plate setter only work on the small with the feet down. If use with feet up it is so tight around the fire ring it prevent good air flow and kills the fire. I have met a couple of other small owner with the same problem.  I have a CI grate that I use quite a bit.  I alternate between the high que and the original fire grate.  I bought a CI frying pan and cut off the handle...works perfect for migas.  
    The small is very responsive to temp change and will hold temps for hours without a problem.  

PS you will love the CARTen.  We purchased one for the mini. 
    If you have a restaurant supply store you will find a wealth of goodies that will work well on the small.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Sgt93
    Sgt, I have a small, a woo and a plate setter.  99% of the time I use the Woo , if I want indirect I place a small foil wrapped pizza stone on woo's bottom rack.  

My plate setter only work on the small with the feet down. If use with feet up it is so tight around the fire ring it prevent good air flow and kills the fire. I have met a couple of other small owner with the same problem.  I have a CI grate that I use quite a bit.  I alternate between the high que and the original fire grate.  I bought a CI frying pan and cut off the handle...works perfect for migas.  
    The small is very responsive to temp change and will hold temps for hours without a problem.  

PS you will love the CARTen.  We purchased one for the mini. 
    If you have a restaurant supply store you will find a wealth of goodies that will work well on the small.  
    Awesome information, thanks!
  • Sgt93
    OK, so far I ordered the Woo, stone and stainless drip pan from Tom. 
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    edited September 2012
    Sgt93 said:

I have those + a High-Que grate for mine as well.  I've also finagled a small 10x10" wire grid to use over the foil-wrapped pan in the bottom to do an indirect,  double decker cook on chicken drumsticks.  I can get about 14 in it this way. 

There's no room for the stone - just make sure to get a bit of air between the foil and the stainless pan so the drippings don't burn and give your food an off taste.  

• +1 on the High-Que being a must on the small.  I have a small with a plate setter, high-que, stock grate, and another 13" grate that I have installed 2" stands on to use for raised direct or a second indirect grate.  I also have a 12" pizza stone.  The small is great.  Fast to get to temp, can cook everything a large can (just smaller amounts), and uses WAY less lump.

When my 22" Webber bites the dust I will look into a large or XL as a replacement for larger cooking needs, but I use my SBGE way more than my Webber at this time.  Perfect for a family of 4 or less for cooking main dishes.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • Sgt93
    MikeG said:
    Sgt93 said:

I have those + a High-Que grate for mine as well.  I've also finagled a small 10x10" wire grid to use over the foil-wrapped pan in the bottom to do an indirect,  double decker cook on chicken drumsticks.  I can get about 14 in it this way. 

There's no room for the stone - just make sure to get a bit of air between the foil and the stainless pan so the drippings don't burn and give your food an off taste.  

Interesting, can you take a pic of the setup when time permits? I would appreciate it.